Hello Mint World

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mint World

Post by TriggerX »

Hi,

My name is Tryg, I am 52 and a sort of veteran that started late and a huge break owing to health matters. I started on 'computers' properly in 1996 using NeXT machines. My 'thing' was motorcycles, machines, guitars and ham radio (EI7CLB). I have pretty poor skills at learning in the conventional way and really do best in a "monkey see, monkey do" fashion when getting to grips with something. I can offer some help by way of donation, which is a bit crass as I don't wish to monetise the freedoms of fellowship. A word reflected from your top banner. Any OT advice related to my interests is available if I can help.

I will need some help and a lot of hand holding to get me through the legendary Linux forest and get to see the trees, so to speak. ASSUME I HAVE VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE, and none really about Linux, something I have wanted to get into for years but it scared me a bit - a lot of which was based on my experiences with a college society that were too snobbish in parts and were into intellectual brinkmanship - I don't understand that form of behaviour - sharing IS rewarding, trying to be the biggest fish in the pond drives me nuts. I am a stranger to the command line and really am a Windows refugee. I have an old Mac which I love but since a lot of Ham Radio software is written for Windows along with all of the security and update issues, it was W10 that "broke the camel's back" and that is why I bought the Mint DVD.

My computer is a Dell Latitude E6400, 2.4GHz dual-core, 3MB of L2, 3GB RAM, 120GB SSD. It is old but fairly tough and from what I have managed so far seems much better with Mint. I am using 'Sonya'. THERE ARE A GAZZZZZZILLLLLLION THINGS THAT I DON'T KNOW so a lot of my questions will/may seem dumb. I have read the FAQ and have the basic user manual printed out. I don't have any time to attend classes as I am a full-time carer and need to be proximate to my Mother. I do want to learn though.

I cannot stand waste and the whole redundant plant thing. If it is WAAAY beyond the spec of an old P166 that used to work fine for me then why throw it away. The idea of getting the most out of the least is just common sense so things like the RPi and mcu's such as, the various flavours of Arduino and the TI MSP430 are appealing to me. I hope to be able to get my skills in programming, system management and just learning 'stuff' up to a fairly autonomous standard (for me). I would like it to be fun, enjoyable to learn about and get results into the bargain. So, that is the intro for now. Thanks to the Admins for the 'add' to the forums. All the best to the members on the forums.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Hello Mint World

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

cead mile failte Tryg...welcome aboard to the linux mint world...you will find it really easy to use with just a little re-learning...if you can run windows xp, linux mint is just as easy in my opinion...just about anything you can think of can be found here already discussed in the forums...if you cant find it, just ask...there is plenty of help here...slainte...Dia a bheith leat...im originally South Boston Irish and yes my Gaelic is rusty lol...now retired in Alamogordo, New Mexico USA...DAMIEN
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "TriggerX",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerX »

Thanks folks.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, TriggerX! You will find there are a fair number of hams here. I am N7JA myself. I think the "legendary Linux forest" is way over-rated. You will find most things easier than you have been led to believe.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi TriggerX,
Welcome to the forums.
You can learn a lot just by reading the threads here.
I double down with jimallyn, at first the learning curve seems steeper than it really is.
I predict you will come up to speed much more quickly than you are thinking.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello TriggerX Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerX »

Thank you all.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerX »

Thanks Catweazel, it is good to be part of the forum.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

How are you progressing with Linux?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”