Wow! This 10 year old laptop is fun again!!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomcashen

Wow! This 10 year old laptop is fun again!!

Post by tomcashen »

I'm a little worried (so's my wife) that I'm having so much fun resurrecting this 2007 HP8730W.

When the motherboard went to the bad, I couldn't let it go. Poor thing was sitting there in my sock drawer for years. Thanks to a couple ebay donor acquisitions, I finally got it going again. Then wasted about 8 hours trying to get win7 on it. Which worked fine (this computer, in it's day, was blazing fast) until I let win7 update. After the updates, I could barely get the mouse trudging across the screen. (exaggeration, but still...)

So I tried a few distros, focusing on the lightweight. Then I thunk, "Why not try Cinnamon and see how it runs?"

It does in fact work the cpu a little harder and the fan runs a little longer, but it's been a couple of weeks now, and no thermal crashes!

I'm on 18.3 beta, and I'm in that phase where I'm realizing that this is not an experiment anymore. Loading files and stuff. Books and music!!

With a Windows wife and Apple kids, my family snickers at my geekish glee, but I think ya'll get it.

Thank you Linus, and thank you Mint. And if you made it this far down the post, thank you too!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wow! This 10 year old laptop is fun again!!

Post by deepakdeshp »

Good to know about your experience.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, tomcashen! Hopefully your wife and kids will move away from the Dark Side eventually. :wink:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi tomcashen,
Love to read reports like this.
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your Mint!
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello tomcashen Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”