A Technophobe Overcoming his Fears

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

A Technophobe Overcoming his Fears

Post by Artim »

Computers and techno-stuff stuff has always scared me a bit. What gadgets can do now, how privacy is jeopardized on the Internet, all that stuff. But we really don't have a choice in the matter anymore I guess, if we want to get through school and make a good living in the world.

So when I found out about an alternative to having to buy a whole new computer because it's operating system required updates that were too demanding for my hardware, I was scared to death to try it, but too broke to upgrade my hardware. Weighing my options, there was really nothing to lose by trying this Linux thing, and if I totally messed it up, well, I'd be right where I was to begin with anyway. So I "fearlessly" tried it out and have recently found my way to Linux Mint Xfce! It offers a simple, newbie-friendly interface that runs superbly on older hardware, the Mint Updater keeps it safe and free of surprises that can cripple other Ubuntu-based distros.

I'd like to thank @Ralphy for introducing me to Linux Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: A Technophobe Overcoming his Fears

Post by Laurent85 »

Hi Artim,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the forums, and happy new year.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Hi Artim,

Welcome to Linux Mint forums and happy new year.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Artim! Nothing to be afraid of here. Linux is way more secure than that other OS you were probably using, and if you should have any problems with Linux, more experienced Linux users are always willing to help out. You've come to the right place!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Introduce Yourself”