Not so much a newcomer, but a oldcomer!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Not so much a newcomer, but a oldcomer!

Post by gael33 »

I've been on this forum now for several years and never really got around to introducing myself. I'm nearly 72 yrs old and still as curious about new things as I was 50 yrs ago. In the mid 90s I was introduced to Microsoft Windows 3.1 and stuck with it until XP. I don't play games or have a need for specialized software for my writing, unfortunately Windows was so unstable I lost countless new stories when the blue screen of doom appeared. As a writer I needed an Operating System that I could rely on, and so I began my search for a stable replacement. Apple Mac was out of my monetary reach and then I heard someone mention something called Linux. To be honest I'm not at all technical and so I looked for ease of use without having to fumble my way around the CLI (something I quite like doing today), I came across Ubuntu 8 something or other, and I (in my frustration) replaced Windows XP. Wow! It was a complete learning curve for me but after a while I started to get used to it, finding my way through the menus and learning what the software did. Open Office was my writing aid of choice at the time, and I completed half of my first published book on it, not losing a single page. I was so happy I had found a stable OS, and it gave me confidence to reach out and try other OS's. As time went on Ubuntu started to change the DE and I didn't like it. Perhaps it's my age, but I like continuity and so I checked out Linux Mint. Mint Mate was everything I needed and not unlike the old Ubuntu in structure, being built upon it. I think that was Mint 11 and I have stayed with Linux Mint to this day (present distribution is LM 18.3 Cinnamon). I now use the Libre Office Suite to write my stories, some are short stories for 'Wireless for the Blind' which my wife reads and records in a professional recording studio. I don't think I would still be writing only for Linux. The frustrations incurred by Windows are now a thing of the past, and I can say with hand on heart that I haven't had a system crash or lost any of my precious work since I replaced Microsoft Windows with Linux. At this point I would like to thank all the techies and geeky guys on this forum who have helped an old man out when I've had a question. Happy 2018 to everyone involved in keeping Linux Mint at the forefront of the OS revolution. Thanks, Piet Ceanadach.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Not so much a newcomer, but a oldcomer!

Post by deepakdeshp »

That's a great pics written from the bottom of thie heart
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

gae133,

that is a lovely story, and thank you for sharing.

best regards Keith
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome into the active Forum Gael33.
You are still young. 73 here.
have a great 2018.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hello, hello!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome, gael33!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello gael33 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”