Checking out Linux MInt.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Checking out Linux MInt.

Post by whm1974 »

Hello my fellow Linux users. I've had used Mint about four years ago or so, before switching to Xubuntu and then to my current distro Manjaro. I'm not switching back to Mint but I'm thinking of using it to introduce folks new to Linux due to Youtubers Switchtolinux and Joe Collins, who highly recommend the distro for newbies. So I will install it on my Lenovo Thinkpad T430 so I can show Linux to people.

Any thoughts about this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Checking out Linux MInt.

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, whm1974! I agree, Mint is probably the best distro for introducing newcomers to Linux. And, it's the best distro for old-timers like myself who just want things to work and don't want to mess around with their OS all the time.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

jimallyn wrote:Welcome aboard, whm1974! I agree, Mint is probably the best distro for introducing newcomers to Linux. And, it's the best distro for old-timers like myself who just want things to work and don't want to mess around with their OS all the time.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to install it to my notebook tonight and read the user guide and wiki. I'm D/L the Xfce Edition.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello whm1974 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I'm installing Mint to my Thinkpad T430 now.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

How do I apply updates?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

whm1974 wrote:How do I apply updates?
Use the Update Manager. It's in the panel at the bottom of the screen, on the right hand side. If there are updates (and if you just installed, there certainly are), it will turn blue.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

jimallyn wrote:
whm1974 wrote:How do I apply updates?
Use the Update Manager. It's in the panel at the bottom of the screen, on the right hand side. If there are updates (and if you just installed, there certainly are), it will turn blue.
Thanks it turns out that I a problem with WiFi.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

whm1974 wrote:Thanks it turns out that I a problem with WiFi.
Post it in the WiFi forums section and somebody will probably be able to help you.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

jimallyn wrote:
whm1974 wrote:Thanks it turns out that I a problem with WiFi.
Post it in the WiFi forums section and somebody will probably be able to help you.
Turns out I was putting in the wrong network name. I directly access the WiFi router and got the correct name.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”