Hello everyone : )

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AV3rse
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone : )

Post by AV3rse »

... and pleased to make the acquaintance of fellow Linux Mint users!

I originally had never heard of Linux Mint. The laptop provided by my school had Windows and Debian Wheezy on it, and Debian was so difficult to use I just went to Windows instead. I ended up skipping so many updates / upgrades that it was a better idea to just format the Debian partition and reinstall another Linux OS over it ... which ended being Linux Mint 17!
It's smooth, all basic functions work unlike my previous Debian installation, it's SUPER quick at booting up or launching any application, and very easy to configure and update / upgrade. Never did Linux look this attractive to me :o .
I still need Windows for some things, but now I just use Linux Mint 90% of the time, so I thought it would be a good idea to stay tuned to the latest news here, and maybe learn cool tricks with Linux Mint ^^ .

That being said, I probably will only drop by on the forums from time to time, but I'm looking forward to my time here!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Hello everyone : )

Post by WharfRat »

Hello AV3rse Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Welcome to Mint and the forums AV3rse.
It's refreshing to here such good positive reports like this.
Congrats, and enjoy your Mint.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, AV3rse! If you post in the appropriate forums section the functions you still need Windows for, somebody might be able to tell you how to do it with Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
timapple

Post by timapple »

Welcome and I'm fascinated your school gave you a laptop with Windows and Linux on it. Where you from?
AV3rse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AV3rse »

I'm sorry for answering this late, guess I didn't end up going to the forums as much as I had first believed.
Anyway,
timapple wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 am Welcome and I'm fascinated your school gave you a laptop with Windows and Linux on it. Where you from?
I'm in my last year of engineering school in France. One of my school's main course subject is IT, so they lend every new student a laptop for their studies, that can be bought dirt cheap after graduation. They've got a good IT support team too in case there are troubles with the computer. My laptop had Windows 7 Pro and Debian Jessie installed, before I installed Linux Mint 17 over Debian.
jimallyn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:48 am Welcome aboard, AV3rse! If you post in the appropriate forums section the functions you still need Windows for, somebody might be able to tell you how to do it with Linux.
I'm still using Windows for SAS, Scilab and the Office Pack. I know there's the LibreOffice suite, but I prefer MS Word's GUI over LibreOffice Writer's GUI, and I've had problems projecting slideshows with Impress. I'm considering setting up a virtual machine on Linux but I'm satisfied switching between OS right now.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”