Just want to be a Linux Power User

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geekwannabe

Just want to be a Linux Power User

Post by geekwannabe »

I used to be DOS boy. Loved the command line. A friend introduced me to Linux and i fell in love. Had a major life alteration and now im back. So i'm here to learn as much as i can.
Major themes: Getting my Nook Simple to work with Calibre on LM 17.1....
Learning Linux networking protocol and security issues. Must protect my family.
Learning how to become a Software Developer.
Learning how to balance multple OS' on my system

Outside of computer love is a greater love for YAHWEH afterwhich a love for my family.
Non computer interests are : gardening-its so much fun to get something to grow and then you get to eat it. whheeeeee
cooking-throwing stuff together to see what comes out
baking-cookies, brownies, cakes oh what fun it is.....
sewing-wearing something that i just made......WOW! now that is cool.

Thanks for letting me in.
YAHWEH bless you and keep you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Just want to be a Linux Power User

Post by JoeFootball »

geekwannabe wrote:I used to be DOS boy. Loved the command line. A friend introduced me to Linux and i fell in love.
Welcome! :) May I recommend LinuxCommand.org and its companion The Linux Command Line book (and it's available for free as a PDF).

Joe
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello geekwannabe Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, geekwannabe!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi geekwannabe,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I would highly recommend updating your Linux Mint to version 17.3 or even newer 18.3.

If these are free ebooks or ebooks that you paid for, there is nothing wrong with using a DRM add-on to view them.

Calibre and DRM busting - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=262217&hilit=calibre+dedrm

Apprentice Alf’s Blog - Everything you ever wanted to know about DRM and ebooks, but were afraid to ask.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

<Solved> Calibre Help Is No Help; I Give Up - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=243388&hilit=calibre+dedrm

How to Add a Nook DRM-Removal Plugin to calibre The Digital Reader
https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/ ... o-calibre/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hello,

and very happy you posted this up this way.

I just found some very interesting info, and downloaded that PDF book immediately.

I am one of those whou just can't sit still unless I know what make the engine turn over in my motorcycle, er uh, computers....

My main hobby is Goldwing motorcycles, of which I moderate www.GoldwingFacts.com
but along the way, in avocations pulled me into the bits and bytes world some 40+ years back....

and it has never been the same :mrgreen:

I was introduced to the "world out there" in 1955 by an uncle who gave me a copy of "Radio Handbook" circa 1939 or 1940? https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Handbook-T ... 0750699477

and in 1957 I convinced the FCC to give me an Amatuer Radio License KN5AWO
about 8 months later, they upgraded it to K5AWO, 2 years later, I got a "General Class" ticket, and about 1981 while just listening to a buddy take the 10 wpm code test, I was just sitting there idling my time away, the code tests all ended, and the FCC examiner looked at me and asked "How come you didn't turn in a Code Test Exam sheet?"

me: "uh, you never got above 10 wpm sir"
him: "uh, that last run was at 20 wpm sir, can you tell me what it said?"

and I rattled off how the guy was copying a message from a ship at sea, and needed help.

He then told me, give me your ticket sir, I am going to stamp it "Extra Class" as you just copied in your head all that we did... :mrgreen:

I had been only using CW, or Morse Code for the last 30 years... never could understand voice, as I was mostly deaf, and solid tones going dih dah dit were all I could really understand on a radio.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

one of the first things i do with a new linux is adapt to a hosts file which is in /etc/hosts and with this new threat about bitcoin mining using your cpu process against you can be avoided as for now you can block coinhive.com coin-hive.com jsecoin.com
if anyone wants a good hosts file first backup yours. i usually compress the current etc/hosts then extract this one hosts_2_16_18.tar.gz
this is a double file meaning it's adapted for both ipv4/ipv6 and IMPORTANT open file first and EDIT line 70 with your hostname so replace arch with your open terminal and type hostname

after replacing the hosts you will need to reboot or disable/enable networking (rightclick on network tray) they are a collection of my own and someonewhocares.org/ with winhelp2002.mvps.org/
Last edited by trytip on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geekwannabe

Post by geekwannabe »

phd21 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 pm Hi geekwannabe,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: iwillpraiseYAHEH Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Sony (portable) product: VGN-NR220E version: C3LQLBBY
           Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: Phoenix version: R1101J9 date: 10/23/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6384.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1067.00 MHz 2: 1067.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (4.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1637GS size: 160.0GB 
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 6.0G (34%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 5.89GB used: 0.34GB (6%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 51.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 156 Uptime: 2:41 Memory: 670.8/984.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Thank you hope that helps!
Last edited by Moem on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi geekwannabe,

You are welcome...

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

But, your system is fairly old and very limited with only 1gb of system memory (ram). Choosing Linux Mint Xfce for this computer was a good idea. If you can add any more system memory (ram), then I would highly recommend that you do that.

I still recommend that you also update to version 17.3 through your Mint Update Manager, click Edit in its toolbar, and select the last option.

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello geekwannabe And Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Great to have you here. Learn as much as you can, read and study and you'll be a power user before you know it :) Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hello and welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you wish to be a Linux Power User,, or something similar,
- then be prepared to play with your New Toy,,
- and be prepared to break that New Toy :o
as that is the best way to learn about how it all works.

if you can, do have Two PCs to play with,
- one to mess with, and one as your Main Production PC
and which doesn't get messed with, quite as often, as the Play PC will be.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

You will feel like a power user if you install Linux Lite and then set up a user account. I installed Linux Lite on my computer. I then added my daughter as a non-admin user on the computer. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a checklist of access rights that I could select from, checking or unchecking any and all that I wanted to. One that particularly caught my eye was "SUDO". When I saw that one, I knew instantly that if I checked "SUDO", she would be an admin user, whereas if I unchecked "SUDO", she would be a non-admin user.

I'm sure you have come across the word "SUDO", which you type in front of any command in order to run that command with admin rights. If you uncheck SUDO on an account profile in Linux Lite, that user won't be able to run a command with SUDO in front of it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I just looked on ebay and you can get a 2 GB memory upgrade for $12.99. If you have a single 1 GB stick now, you can probably get by with just adding another, but it is sometimes better to get the 2 X 1 GB kit so the memory sticks are the same. You would probably notice an improvement in the performance of the computer with more RAM.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Introduce Yourself”