Greetings from Berlin

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fridulix

Greetings from Berlin

Post by Fridulix »

Hello Linux Community and guten Tag!

I live in Berlin, Germany. Within limits I am quite an experienced user. A few days ago I installed upon a friends recommendation Linux Mint 18 as the second partition on my iMac. Liked it pretty much from the first moment ! Aesthetically, functionally, the terminal - great system, just good vibes.

Only trouble is that - in spite of updating, reinstalling Grub, installing rEFInd, using boot-repair and following a couple more recommendations from help page and a Linux book - there was so far no chance to ever get started again from my Mac OS X 10.8.5 partition. Mint shows me the other partitions at starting and later on the desk, but never not allow me to choose the partition. If you have a quick idea ....?

Best ahead,
Freudolix
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Greetings from Berlin

Post by Pierre »

Welcome to our Forum
:D
can you post the URLs of the various post(s) that you have tried out,
but then found out, that they didn't work ?

mainly, to help us, in following what you have tried, so far . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Freudolix Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Fridulix,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

83/5000
Hallo Fridulix und Willkommen bei Linux Mint Forums,
Schön dich hier zu haben, viel Spaß! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hi, and welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Fridulix

Post by Fridulix »

Hi and thanks for the welcome everybody.

I am pretty busy at the moment, so things will take a while. One problem I could solve meanwhile seems to have been a very small one. I did not have a wired keyboard, not even thought about that first. But there seems to be a moment, when you switch the partition that Bluetooth is not available and you need the return key. With a USB keyboard and rEFInd I could meanwhile return to the OS X part, as well as to a live USB stick. Just rebooting to the installed Cinnamon is not possible. I may have damaged something, when I shut down the computer without keyboard.
But now I got the Iannubuntu Boot Repair from the Sourceforge net and will try it. Just, if I am doing something very wrong with using Boot Repair, or you know that re-installation of Cinnamon is unavoidable at this point, I'd be glad about a hint.
To Pierre: The question about which terminal commands I (wrongly?)used I will answer later, when I find time to sort it out and understand it all a bit better.

Cheers!
Fridulix

Post by Fridulix »

Hello world of Linux, here I am again!

I reported already that I had troubles to switch back to macOS as the original partition on my iMac13.1. Cinnamon worked great in the start. Just the way back was blocked. I did all installation with a Bluetooth keyboard that was accepted from Cinnamon as well as my wireless mouse. Perhaps the crucial point was the demanded exit via return key that was not working. I switched off and restarted several times via the main On/Off. Switching meanwhile is solved via rEFInd and a wired keyboard. (If of interest: rEFInd displays even a former Windows emulated installation that was erased years ago, but perhaps formatting is still present. The macOS service tool does not see that.)

First I tried the info of hagensieker's post (Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:42 pm) and followed his solution:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair.

Was no effect.

Actually with a live stick I can start Cinnamon. I prepared then a stick with downloaded Iannubuntu boot repair iso, that works obviously as a kind of start up system but ends after a while with grub troubles, declaring I am in a "Legacy Modus" , restarting in an EFI seating should activate the missed function - once started - with the live stick, the installed version does not open and the system does not boot repair stick.
I got the following info several times:

Unable to mount Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64.bit

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at media/mint/Liux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit: Command-line
`mount-t "iso9660"-o
"uhelper=udisks2, nodev,nosuid,uid=999, iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
"dev/sdb1" "media/mint/Linux Mint 18.1. Cinnamon 64-bit"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount:dev/sdb1 is already mounted or /media/mint/Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64bit busy.

That's what I have. And here I am kindly asking for advice if there is one who understands these troubles. Is there a chance to solve that story with one of the miracoulous terminal commands or is it now time to better reinstall from the live stick?

Thanks in advance and best,
Fridulix
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Fridulix, if you are having troubles, please post in the appropriate forums section. "Introduce yourself' is not the best place to find solutions for problems you may have. You are much more likely to get the answers you need if you post in the appropriate forums section.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fridulix

Post by Fridulix »

Sorry!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”