Hello from new Noob

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tmg

Hello from new Noob

Post by tmg »

Just saying Hi, I'm a network engineer based in Birmingham (UK) and am learning Linux so I can learn more around Network Automation and other stuff like that and also generally because I've wanted to learn Linux and what it can do for a few years now. I have played around with Ubuntu and Lubuntu in the past.

I decided to take it seriously and am in the process of building a PC at the moment, hoping to get the final parts this week, I decided to go all in and install Linux as the only OS. I am planning to use Mint on the recommendation of a guy at work. I will be using it for GNS3 network vitualisation and to install and test various different Automation tools based around that such as Ansible, Observium, Napalm, Netbox etc.

This forum looks quite active so hopefully I can ask a few questions when I get stuck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hello from new Noob

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums tmg! You will not regret learning Linux, and you will not regret choosing Mint. There are a few other distros that are much more likely to be used in networking stuff, so you might wind up learning one or more of those, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello tmg Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi tmg,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome tmg!
tmg

Post by tmg »

Thanks Guys. Looking forward to next week now. Just waiting on my case and CPU cooler being delivered before I can build my PC. Doing it with my nephews so going to introduce them to Linux too.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

tmg wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 am Doing it with my nephews so going to introduce them to Linux too.
I get the impression that a lot of Linux adopters very quickly see how good it is and pass it on. Not so with Windows! I know a lot use and like it (and refuse to change) but even those people do not tend to actively promote it.

Welcome from another Midlander by the way; from about 40 miles to the east! :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
tmg

Post by tmg »

BG405 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm
tmg wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 am Doing it with my nephews so going to introduce them to Linux too.
I get the impression that a lot of Linux adopters very quickly see how good it is and pass it on. Not so with Windows! I know a lot use and like it (and refuse to change) but even those people do not tend to actively promote it.

Welcome from another Midlander by the way; from about 40 miles to the east! :D
Hi! Hope you weren't affected by the weather too much recently.

Enjoying Mint so fat. It's pretty good. I like the simplicity.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

tmg wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:42 am Hope you weren't affected by the weather too much recently.
It was bracing until a couple of days ago but we tend to escape the worst of the weather being protected by the surrounding hills. I used to live on the outskirts of Leicester which did suffer more from the high winds, but even in 1987 only one tile was dislodged .. it had no nail in as I'd been removing tiles to provide access to the roof! That was also to get "free stuff" .. long-distance TV reception.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”