Hey All!!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stoof2010

Hey All!!

Post by Stoof2010 »

Brand new user here. Just now installed mint 18.3 cinnamon.
been a microsoft user for a long time. used DOS based systems in the early 90s then into windows. my father started me on old acer machines with only disk drives so that i'd understand the base of the then modern systems and navigate DOS's prompt commands.
fast forward to today where i now have 2 windows 10 systems and one running windows 7.
for years i've been interested in the linux based systems. i remember trying red hat years ago but nothing came of it.
after reading online that mint was the most "beginner" friendly i settled on this distro. i picked up a nice lenovo t420 and now have my first linux system :D
i followed some basic "first 15 things to do after installing mint" steps and bought the book:
"Linux pocket guide" to try and familiarize myself with the terminal.
it will take some time, but my hope was to get familiar with it enough to get away from windows on all my systems.
thanks for reading!!!
PS i apologize for not using capitols, but i'm typing slowly one handed from a work injury to my dominant hand.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hey All!!

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Stoof2010!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hey, you! Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I think you're in for a good time.

Any questions, feel free to ask away.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Stoof2010

Post by Stoof2010 »

well im not sure if i did the install optimally.
i did keep the windows OS that was on the laptop.
i tried to do the manual partitioning myself in "something else" but windows already had 3 partitions and after trying to make a "/" root with 20gb like has been suggested it said the rest of the free space was unusable. being unfamiliar with advanced partitioning i did the "install alongside windows option and it worked. it created one primary and then sub divided it into two logical... one root+home and 1 swap.
:-( i have heard having root completely separate makes recovery of a buggy OS easier while still keeping all my home stuff, but i just wanted to get started. its not my main machine and i keep backups of all my personal stuff so for now hopefully it'll be OK.
maybe ill get to love Linux and be able to wipe it with only Linux later and i can make root a primary alone...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is some thought, that by using a separate /root & /home partitions,
rather than having the /home directory under the /root directory & in the same partition,,
- in that it can make the recovery of a buggy OS easier . . some folks do that, & others stay with the defaults.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Stoof2010,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Stoof2010 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 pm....and bought the book:
Here's a good book I recommend for learning to use the command line - and it's a free pdf download:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

And welcome to the forum!

PS - the terminal doesn't have to be white on black. Open a terminal window, right click in the terminal and select "Show Menubar" from the context menu. Then select Edit->Profile Preferences->Colors and chose your background and foreground colors. I like black text on a pale yellow background.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Stoof2010

Post by Stoof2010 »

slipstick wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:26 am
Stoof2010 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 pm....and bought the book:
Here's a good book I recommend for learning to use the command line - and it's a free pdf download:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

And welcome to the forum!

PS - the terminal doesn't have to be white on black. Open a terminal window, right click in the terminal and select "Show Menubar" from the context menu. Then select Edit->Profile Preferences->Colors and chose your background and foreground colors. I like black text on a pale yellow background.
thanks!! downloaded the PDF. was going to buy that book but the other one was smaller. probably will still get the hard copy later. couldn’t download copy on phone but i can manually transfer it.
and thanks for the heads up on the terminal customization. was trying to do that but didnt find out how until now :-)
Stoof2010

Post by Stoof2010 »

Pierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 am there is some thought, that by using a separate /root & /home partitions,
rather than having the /home directory under the /root directory & in the same partition,,
- in that it can make the recovery of a buggy OS easier . . some folks do that, & others stay with the defaults.
well for now this "default" way will work. since i'm just learning and tinkering it should be OK. at this point if it went buggy i could just reinstall and not lose much since i haven’t really done anything besides update and added ms-fonts and vlc. all my personal stuff is on my desktops and removable media.
but i may do that other way once i am familiar enough to just have Linux rather than a dual boot :-)
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Stoof2010 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 am there is some thought, that by using a separate /root & /home partitions,
Yup...there sure is...

Especially if you're running Arch! :wink: <see below...>
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Stoof2010

Post by Stoof2010 »

OK guys.
well my windows 10 started acting wrong. programs wouldn't open. system would just hang.
so, i wiped the slate clean, removed everything, deleted all partitions, and installed mint alone.
made a primary 20gb root, a primary swap of 4 gb (same s amount of ram i have) and made a third primary for the rest of the drive as home.
changed my swappiness so it doesn't start using swap until i hit 90% of my ram (set swappiness to 10)
installed all security updates all levels, made a timeshift snapshot, then installed all other updates and created a second snapshot. that way if things go south i can always restore back to fresh install.

edit: removed question and started thread elsewhere
Thanks
Last edited by Stoof2010 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Stoof2010 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:34 pm OK guys.
well my windows 10 started acting wrong. programs wouldn't open. system would just hang.
so, i wiped the slate clean, removed everything, deleted all partitions, and installed mint alone.
made a primary 20gb root, a primary swap of 4 gb (same s amount of ram i have) and made a third primary for the rest of the drive as home.
changed my swappiness so it doesn't start using swap until i hit 90% of my ram (set swappiness to 10)
installed all security updates all levels, made a timeshift snapshot, then installed all other updates and created a second snapshot. that way if things go south i can always restore back to fresh install.

i did have a question:
so on my last install before the wipe i made a snapshot onto a USB stick hoping when i wiped and reinstalled i could just restore the snapshot and everything would be as it was. but after the install, time-shift didn't recognize the snapshot. showed that the rest of the space was there but didnt show that snapshot.
is it because the partitions were different when i made the old snapshot?
i was hoping that i could create a snapshot on a USB in case i ever have to reformat agan.
can anyone explain why the old snapshot wasn't recognized on the new install? will it work if i take one now with mint being the only thing i have now so i can restore later if i ever have to wipe the drive again?
Thanks
for the time-shift questions I think it is best to ask the developer.
the page is here: https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
and here for your questions, it may have already answered: https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues
he seems to answer rapidly
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Stoof2010

Post by Stoof2010 »

ok thank you. i didn't see it answered there yet and also created a thread in the programs section when i realized it didnt belong here.
thanks again :-)

Edit: removed question above

Return to “Introduce Yourself”