(Note user name change) Greetings All from Massively ignorant.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

(Note user name change) Greetings All from Massively ignorant.

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

I'm a retired Plumber and HVACR technician, I've also been involved with many trades that are heavily dependent on manual skill, if it's just mechanical, I probably could have fixed it. If it has electrical mechanical controls and a reasonably decent electrical wiring diagram, well, I probably could have fixed that also.

I also spent 16 years as one of those mean, awful, heartless, common sense lacking, Building Inspectors. "If that's what the Building, Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing code says, than that's the way you need to do it." Pretty tough for a home owner, especially as the code books are quite expensive and you pretty much have to be taught how to properly read them. Code is also written in special "speak" and again you have to learn the language being used. Pretty significant learning curve if all you want to do is remodel a bathroom or some such seemingly minor change to your house.

Alas those days are gone for me, and so I spend too much time on the computer.

From third grade on, I've read on average about 30,000 book size pages a year and if you allow some reasonable word count to web pages, I suppose I haven't decreased the amount I read at all, but it's no longer all in the form of paper based media.

I'm primarily a person who uses a computer as a tool, the ins and outs of programing, networking etc. have never held much interest for me.

My first computer was a Commodore 64, and to date it a little better, it came with a disk drive rather than the earlier cassette drive. Not done here but need to quit. (I was using my LM 18.3 Xfce, that has the response delay problem at the time and the problem seemed to get much worse right then.) Alas, I'm finishing this with my Windows 10 machine as it's the only working computer of the four I have, ha!

So back to what might be pertinent here; I switched to a Linux based OS because I was plenty irritated with the then constant issuance of newer versions of first MS Dos and then all the subsequent releases of "New and improved" versions of MS products. What I found to be particularly annoying was that every time MS came out with a new release, it would shortly eventuate that you would need to get new versions of your software. Once you did that, it also was a frequent experience that you were no longer able to read files that had been created by older versions of the same software.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories as they usually require some amazingly, unbelievably convoluted chains of coincidence, supposed causation. "Coincidence does not equal causation." That said, I sure thought that there was a concerted attempt to ring out as much money from the consumers as possible.

To be fair to Microsoft, their market share isn't solely due to their early dominance of the market, say what you like, Microsoft works well enough for the vast majority of folks, it works well enough for me, I'm just strubbon.

Here's a bit of philosophizing; I accept the idea of the "Great Wheel of Life" This holds that everything is interconnected and that every event / action effects every other one, both for good and for not so good. In my daily life, I look for opportunities to help others, hopefully for their good. So while it is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to assist others on this board, I like to think that by helping others, that may be a way to make some recompense for the help I receive here.
Respectfully, Massively ignorant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Greetings All from Massively ignorant.

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your growing thread about gender identity :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Catweazl,

Thanks for the welcome, I've actually been here awhile (Shortly after LM forked from Ubuntu) with a different username. I lost that and can't remember it, much to my surprise the board allowed me to create a new account with a new username but using my old e-mail address, go figger.

Respectfully, Massively ignorant
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Yes, Welcome back.
+1 on catweazel here. I was following that thread and the links offered there, and feel somewhat enlightened.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Massively ignorant and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Good to have you here and enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Greetings all,

I've already mentioned elsewhere that I requested a user name change, my new user name: E1-Beard-0.

Thank you and respectfully yours, E1-Beard-0
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Re: (Note user name change) Greetings All from Massively ignorant.

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. Image :)
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”