first time user Mint 18.3 xfce "SYLVIA"

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DJOOBZUS

first time user Mint 18.3 xfce "SYLVIA"

Post by DJOOBZUS »

Thanks for all the great support threads to install and upgrade my HP.
I picked up a new/used HP with win10.
I cleaned the ssd drive.
Tried Zorin for a few days.
Then installed Mint 18.3 xfce "SYLVIA".
Had to install 2x then followed most of the 'ten tips after install'.
Never looked back.
Thanks again for having an awesome forum and Love Linux OS.
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: first time user Mint 18.3 xfce "SYLVIA"

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Dave Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

I moved your topic here because it looked like an introduction.

Enjoy your Linux experience :wink:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Dave!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I've finally disposed of my last Windows machine this afternoon. I just hope that She Who Must Be Obeyed copes when I finally hook up her 'puter again. I set up my spare lappy for her to use whilst I upgraded her machine. So far, so good! You'll not look back, DJOOBZUS. Enjoy the new experience!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
terentz

old time user migrating from Mint 18.3 to LMDE

Post by terentz »

Hi there all, I'm an experienced coder from Sydney who's been using Linux Mint (standard edition) for well over 5 years. This most likely is not my first post, but certainly my first in a long time. I've noticed some various instabilities over the last few years, that seem to be on the increase; my recent LM 18.2 installation has only decided behave itself after I applied the upgrade of 18.3. Issues included:
- login window was replaced by a legacy Ubuntu login window, which kept me from being able to login to use Splunk.
- most likely caused by the same as above, once I'd logged in, moments after launching any application that required root permission for installation, a window would pop up and prompt me for my password.
Anyhow, a little reading inspired me to take the plunge and install LMDE on one of my machines, and despite a few little issues (that I'd managed to eradicate quickly), the installation is going really well. So much so, that I wish to install it on my main dev machine, which begs the question (though I expect a 'negative' is imminent): is there some way of migrating from LM18.3 to LMDE2 (or 3) without having to recreate my entire development environment from scratch? (Please don't mention SOE's in response unless in a distinctly productive (and surprising) context.. :roll:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yep, a negative is imminent. You get to do it all over again.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Introduce Yourself”