Thanks From Newbie

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sprice

Thanks From Newbie

Post by sprice »

I have tried to use Linux Mint for the past two months but unable to get printer and scanner recognized. Looked on-line for assistants and even joined a local Linux User Group. I listened to 37 different Linux experts and tried 37 different methods but to no avail. This is unfortunate because I like Linux Mint. However, as a senior citizen I have fewer days before me than behind me. I will not live long enough to learn Linux Mint. Therefore, as much as I hate going back to Microsoft - I must. I can no longer make excuses to my boss for non-productivity. I wish to thank all those who tried to assist this newbie. You have been a great group.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Thanks From Newbie

Post by jimallyn »

sprice, you apparently haven't tried to get your problems fixed. You joined these forums just today, and you have made a grand total of 1 post. You may have listened to 37 Linux "experts", but I don't see any evidence that you listened to any Mint experts. If you would like to use Mint, post your problems here in the forums, and almost certainly somebody will be able to help you. I am also what some would call a senior citizen, and I don't have enough life left to use Windows. Life's too short for that stuff.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello sprice and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
I must agree with the above post. If you want to try to get that printer and scanner going. Please give us the information we need to be of help.
Printer /scanner make and model please. Is it wireless, USB connected?
Give us a chance.
Which version of Mint?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You went to all that effort but didn't bother to ask the question on here? I suggest you give it one last shot.
sprice

Post by sprice »

MintBean wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 pm You went to all that effort but didn't bother to ask the question on here? I suggest you give it one last shot.
Thank you for the quick response and you are correct about only using the forum once. I am serious about liking Linux Mint and everyone connected with Linux are great people but I really need to get the process rolling. I only discovered how to use this forum today because I have had login issues and also issues with Firefox (will ask about this later). Will give it more time to resolve issue but after having 37 Linux experts unable to assist I'm leaning toward giving up. So, I have Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit on an HP 2000 computer. I'm trying to hook up a Brother HL 2240 lazer printer and an Epson v39 scanner (both via USB 2.0 port). The best I've been able to do for the printer is plug it in to the USB port, log onto Brother website, select the correct OS, download into a created print folder in downloads (so as not to have printer files all over the place), extract printer executable file, open terminal, change download file to download printer directory (cd download/printer), type in sudu bash Linux bprinter - installer ###
OK, I put ### because no one of the experts knows what numbers to type in. From here I'm supposed to type in the full model number of the printer, then type in password, then type in Y to begin the install process. Then I'm supposed to do something with CUPS and URI. Now, as a newbie my head is spinning and this is just the printer. I also need to get the scanner up and running and then try and get the latest version of Firefox (which I like) installed but won't install (statement appears: the latest version of Firefox is not compatible with Linux Mint). I do need the latest version in order to communicate with my boss. Of course my plan B is to use Chrome if Firefox won't work.
So, I need quite a few things accomplished but lets eat the elephant one bite at a time. What do I need to do to get the printer up and running.
I apologise for such a lengthy post and do appreciate your professionalism!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hello sprice.

First, I expect a mod will end up moving this to the Printers & Scanners sub section of the Hardware Support section of the forum. So if this topic disappears, try looking for it there.

Now for the printer. https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15 has everything you should need to get it going and was written by a member of this forum (Pjotr)
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The HP printer should be a doddle, as per MrEen's link above.

Not sure why you're 'trying to install Firefox.' Mint comes with it preinstalled and it's updated automatically via the update manager. Generally on Linux it's best to obtain software through the software manager as it is automatically updated. Hunting for installers on the 'net is the Windows way.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Here a page that explains how to install your Brother Printer.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15
I know the V39 can be made to work but haven't found the right instructions yet.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi sprice,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

No offense to the "Linux Experts" that you spoke to, but the people here in this forum would have been able to provide better and quicker help for this.

See screenshots below:

Linux drivers for the Brother HL-2240 printer
* Click this link to Download Brother drivers for HL-2240
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _eu&os=128

Click the first link to file "linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz", just save the file, bring up your file manager, right-click the file, extract here, which creates a folder of the same name, get into that folder, right-click in the white space and select "actions", open console terminal here, type into the console the command below, or copy and paste the command below.

Code: Select all

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1
When asked, type in the printer's name "hl-2240" without quotes, and follow the prompts, reboot / restart afterward.

Linux drivers for the Epson v39 scanner
[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=221071&start=20

* Click this link to Linux Scanner Driver Download - Epson
http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.1

Example 64-bit file "iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.1.x64.deb.tar.gz", just save the file, bring up your file manager, right-click the file, extract here, which creates a folder of the same name, get into that folder, right-click in the white space and select "actions", open console terminal here, type into the console the command below, or copy and paste the command below.

./install.sh

Hope this helps ...
Brother_HL2240_1.jpg
Brother_HL2240_2.jpg
Epson_Scanner1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Glad to see you have decided to stick around a while, sprice. Almost certainly the people here will be able to help you get everything working. That's what the forums are here for. And I suspect many of those here think like I do on this: Linux and open source software has been such a good thing for me, it makes me want to give back to the community in any way I can. When I first started using Linux back in 2002, it was like when you discover a great new restaurant in town: you want to tell all your friends about it! I predict your system will be up and running shortly, and you will be glad you decided to stick around. How do I know? Because I see i there all the time. I started seeing so many people say things like, "This is great, I should have done this years ago!" that I decided to start saving some of those comments in a file on my computer. That file is now up to 40 pages.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'd also welcome you to the wonderful world of Linux Mint. The blokes, and birds here are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, if a solution can be found, they'll have it. In many cases you might even find a solution to a problem you hadn't even discovered yet. I had an HP mfc that is conected to my network. It printed fine, and,just the other day I needed to scan something only to find that it would not talk to my Linux computers. I had, only that morning, read a thread that spelt out a solution to aother problem which solved mine, too. Despite my registration date, I, too, am very much a newbie. FWIW I just spent 6 hours setting up a Windows machine when it only takes 20 minutes to set up a Linux box. Who says productivity in Windows is better? :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sprice wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 pm What do I need to do to get the printer up and running.
Start a new thread and post the about the symptoms, perhaps links to things you've tried, plus the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sprice

Post by sprice »

Hi New Colleagues,
This is great! I should be able to get things rolling along shortly. Just a short history lesson on my part. I started using Linux Mint 8 weeks ago - I also joined a local Linux Group at the same time. For the first three weeks, we had trouble getting things to work. Then for every week thereafter, we re-downloaded Linux. Just prior to my first blog, when I (we) were finally able to register and login to the forums page, I was told by the group that all I needed was a to change my tire and not buy a new car. Meaning, go back to using MS Windows and don't pursue using Linux. Now, I can't criticize the local Linux group, they have provided hours of support but you can understand my discouragement (which shows in my first post). Since so many of guys have responded, it makes me feel reassured in using Linux. Thanks for your assistance!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

G'day there sprice:

do have-a-go at what phd21 has written for you:
- if you have Any Issues - - any at all - - do post back here - - on what you have done,,
& how you went.

ie: you should be able to achieve what you have said, that you need to be working . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You can also fire up 'Hexchat' from the Mint menu for real time online help.
sprice

Post by sprice »

Hi Guys,
OK, printer is up and running, which is a big help. A special thanks to phd21. This problem is solved. A little confused about the Epson Perfection Scanner v39. Two notes* were made: (1) won't work, (2) a link to an Epson scanner download. Before I go and blow up my system (again) what do I need to know about getting the scanner to work (if it will work)? You guys are all that and a bag of chips!

*Excerpt from script:
Linux drivers for the Epson v39 scanner
[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=221071

* Click this link to Linux Scanner Driver Download - Epson
http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.0
Last edited by Pierre on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed those URLs
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

on that link to Linux Scanner Driver Download - Epson:
Click here for how to install the package.
- read the Section 6.1 and see if you can follow those instructions . .
and download the *.DEB 64bit file as you are running an DEBian based system ( LinuxMint )

Do Take Note of Section:
6.1.3. Installation the package manager

- - You can install the package of this driver software by using package manager.

- Double-click the Image Scan! for Linux binary package icon to install it.

( after extracting the files from the downloaded deb.tar.gz )
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI sprice,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Glad your printer is now working for you.

As for your Epson scanner, since I do not yet know whether you are running a 64-bit or 32-bit Linux Mint system because I do not have the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" command, I cannot say for sure that you should choose the 64-bit download or the 32-bit download. You most likely have a 64-bit computer.

The instructions I gave you before should work for your scanner as well, re-read them and look at the screenshots for that. There is another option for that too, once you have downloaded and extracted the Epson archive file, instead of running the "./install.sh" script from the console terminal prompt, you could double-click each of the 3 deb files in order to install them that way.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
sprice

Post by sprice »

Hi Pierre:
First, I tried copy/paste the four commands (in order) in terminal - nothing happened. Second, I tried copy/paste the auto command in terminal - nothing happened. I at least expected to type in a password. What is this SANE thing they're talking about - do I need to be c0oncerned?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the SANE thing is the Method that is used to connect the Scanner ..

if you have downloaded that deb.tar.gz file - - can you R/click that,,
& extract those three *.DEB files okay?.

if so, then click on each one, in turn, as specified by the Epson Site instructions,
and that should Install each program onto your system.
- you do have to install in the order specified:

- data package
- core package
- plug-in package (if provided)
- image processing plug-in package(optional)

do keep reading those Instructions.
8)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”