The start of a long journey

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thorsden

The start of a long journey

Post by Thorsden »

Hi all

It’s a bit of a long post, sorry

I’ve been dabbling and in and out of Ubuntu and early Mint for the last few years. I’m a Windows 7 user primarily despite being a Windows 10 Insider and getting more and more depressed by its developments (degradations).

I was set a bit of a challenge over Christmas to get Mint onto the Acer Aspire ES1-132 with Windows 10, it’s meant be quite hard (and it was).

I use this on holiday being as its light weight with a long battery life and a nice machine. However, I’ve failed in an attempt to get it back to be a Windows (anything) machine thankfully.

My problem was in the lack of total compatibility between MS office Excel and LibreOffice. Lookups and date formats just fail dramatically.

I tried a virtual machine load, but again the BIOS fought and won. Also the small 32G drive would have been an obstacle.

So a re-thing meant that re-installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit from scratch to give me a clean machine and I tried WPS Office. I’d shied away from this in Windows because of the adverts, but in Linux land it’s ad free. Success, it handles my sheets correctly and I can work. OK it still messes up Word tables big style, but this isn’t important.

I like using Terminal, coming from a DOS 3.2 background on my first Viglen PC in 1989, but following advice parrot fashion works, but is frustrating. I want to know what I’m really doing. (I really must find out about sudo su very soon) :lol: . I need to find the time to strip down the commands and get my head around them. I really should use Terminal more, but the GUI interface works well hand in hand with Terminal as a working system.

I’ve found both the Mint and Ubuntu forums and really useful, thank you all, and I’ll end with a request.

Anyone got a working driver for a Dell 1320c colour laser printer on a network connection. It’s not important, but would complete the circle.

Regards to you all

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The start of a long journey

Post by slipstick »

Thorsden wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 pmI like using Terminal, coming from a DOS 3.2 background on my first Viglen PC in 1989, but following advice parrot fashion works, but is frustrating. I want to know what I’m really doing. (I really must find out about sudo su very soon) :lol: . I need to find the time to strip down the commands and get my head around them. I really should use Terminal more, but the GUI interface works well hand in hand with Terminal as a working system.
Hello Thorsden and welcome to the forum.
For learning the command line, I recommend this book - available as a free pdf download:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Thorsden

Post by Thorsden »

Thank you slipstick

I've downloaded this, and now for some bedtime reading.

Thanks again

Bob
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Thorsden wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 pm Anyone got a working driver for a Dell 1320c colour laser printer on a network connection. It’s not important, but would complete the circle.
Hi,and welcome, Thorsden.

For your printer question, you might start a new thread. Not everyone reads this introductory forum.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Thorsden!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Thorsden wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Anyone got a working driver for a Dell 1320c colour laser printer on a network connection. It’s not important, but would complete the circle.

Regards to you all

Bob
Have you tried directly through cups to setup the printer. Little googling and it looks like it should work. Try setting it up in web browser http://127.0.0.1:631/ . Get stuck feel free to message me you need help Ill sub to thread. Although as said above a thread for pacifically for that issue would be better.

Oh and!!!
Welcome to Linux
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Thorsden Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi Thorsden,
Welcome to Mint and the forums.
I predict your journey will be shorter than your expectations.
Enjoy the adventure.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”