Another Convert

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lavine43

Another Convert

Post by lavine43 »

Hi Folks,

I have this desktop machine that is a few years old, and was getting bogged down with Windows 10. Since I have a new laptop, I was almost ready to scrap the desktop. However, I decided to try Linux Mint and I am thrilled so far with the distro. There is a learning curve and at 75 it is a bit of a challenge. But, since I am a bit of a geek, it's not so bad. My goal is to learn GIMP (a real challenge) and use this machine primarily for image editing. So, any ideas from more experienced folks would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Jeff Laivne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Another Convert

Post by all41 »

Hi lavine43. Welcome to Mint and the forums.
The learning curve is not as steep as it seems and will level out soon.
There is a forum for gimp at gimpforums.com that may bo of help as well as
the Mint forum users.
Enjoy your adventure.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
7im4pple

Post by 7im4pple »

Welcome to the gang!

You will find plenty of helpful people here to help you get over the humps.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lavine43,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Welcome lavine43!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard, @lavine43!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to a world where nothing ever goes wrong........well...not nearly as much as another "world" we could name. Grand daughter was in the middle of a lesson this morning when Windows decided it was time to "update" (fortunately it only took a few minutes). She didn't miss too much.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello lavine43 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome to the light side, lavine43!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Hello lavine43 .
At 75 you are about average with the rest of of us geezers. (I'm 74). Am setting down withmy grandson 18 and we are going over his lessons in Python. He does games in C++. I have his parents converted to the dark side (no windows) and am working on the next generation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Tomgin5 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 pmI have his parents converted to the dark side
Don't you mean from the dark side?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I guess so. I got them away from the windows :D
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Jeff and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to Mint and the forums!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

We have to be the dark side, we DON"T USE Windows.... :mrgreen: :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Newbie Bob

Re: Another (possible) Convert

Post by Newbie Bob »

Like Lavine43 i too am way over age 21 and looking to abandon Win after m-a-n-y years for Linux but there are several concerns:

(1) the commands appear to be cruel and unusual punishment for the typical user - are often are they used for "casual" users ?
(2) there are many needed supporting apps, etc to make Win perform properly - can i count on Mint providing equivalent support ?
(3) Linux seems to be a "kit" of assembled components (many with strange names). Since a picture is worth 1000 words is there a diagram that shows relationships between these components ? Or a table of possible choices for each category of component (file system, software updater, windows, etc) ?

Thanx.

Newbie Bob
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi 43, (just wondering, is the 43 a tribute to Richard Petty?)

You will do great - ". . . at 75 it is a bit of a challenge. But, since I am a bit of a geek. . . " I have observed from exactly a sample of one that you guys grew up on the command line with DOS and UNIX so are not daunted by terminal commands. Add to that a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new stuff. . . Linux will be child's play.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Another (possible) Convert

Post by jimallyn »

Newbie Bob wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm (1) the commands appear to be cruel and unusual punishment for the typical user - are often are they used for "casual" users ?
First, welcome to Linux Mint, Newbie Bob! No, not often at all. They are very useful for solving some problems, but if one is needed to fix a problem you have, somebody on the forums will almost certainly tell you exactly what commands you need to use. All you will have to do is copy and paste them into the terminal.
Newbie Bob wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm (2) there are many needed supporting apps, etc to make Win perform properly - can i count on Mint providing equivalent support ?
Most of the usual applications come with the installation. Office suite, image editing, browser, media player, and so on - all installed when you install the operating system. And many more are available for install.
Newbie Bob wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm (3) Linux seems to be a "kit" of assembled components (many with strange names). Since a picture is worth 1000 words is there a diagram that shows relationships between these components ? Or a table of possible choices for each category of component (file system, software updater, windows, etc) ?
Hmmm, don't know of a diagram. But if you have specific questions, somebody here will almost certainly be able to answer them for you.
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Hello lavine43. Welcome and enjoy. :)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Bob, Google is your friend when it comes to finding applications. Linux Mint will have all the basics apps out of the box. If you need something else a quick Google search, such as "CD Ripping Linux" will turn up several applications. As far as the terminal, it is scary to most newcomers to Linux, but after awhile you find it is one of the best things about Linux as it gives you complete control of your machine. Like a car, you can just open the hood and quickly look inside. One command will give you most of your system information and you can copy and paste it. That's all you need for the most part:
inxi -Fxz

A little time and patience and you will have it figured out :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”