Black hole...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Black hole...

Post by Chriske »

...was a W-man all my life, had to decide now what to do. Should I install W10 or choose some other OS.
So..jumped into it, installing Mint on all my laptops and desktops. Didn't know what to expect, did it anyway. Choose to install Mint.
Installing Linux, all is included, so there's no need to search for additional software, except in my case my 3D drawing software. But I expect that'll be solved installing VirtualBox and W7 first.
Anyway, can't say I regret it. These developers did a good job imho.

Greetings
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Black hole...

Post by kc1di »

Hello Chris,
Let me Welcome you to the Linux Mint Forums, Mint Is a very good Distro to start with but if you do run into problems there are a lot of folks to be of help just shout.
Again Welcome.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Welcome aboard, you won't regret it and glad to see that you've taken the plunge and gone straight to LM. A lot of people opt for dual boot (which dependent on machine can be messy to set up). That's the route I followed when I first started and then about 18mths ago switched to LM as the primary OS with win7 in VB. Unless you are a heavy gamer, performance should be okay.

Recommendations normally in this forum are to install software from software manager or SPM (synaptics package manager). There are exceptions and virtualbox is one of them. Head over to

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

And download the debs for your version of LM, if you are using LM 18.x you want ubuntu 16.04, if LM 17.x then ubuntu 14.04. AMD64=64bit version, i386=32 bit. Double click the deb to install. There are lots of posts on the forum on VB, things to note are
  • you need to install guest additions in win7 not LM - this provides better integration between LM and win7
  • to access USB ports from win7 you need to be a member of vboxusers group in LM
Alternatives to running windows stuff in VB is install wine (available in software manager, better performance, but might not work), or crossover (not free, but more stuff will work).

Good luck.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i'm sure you can find something useful https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2016/07/0 ... ing-linux/ even though this is an older post you can always try searching for 3D drawing software linux
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Just an FYI:

VirtualBox from Software Manager is version 5.1.34 and works fine. Also, the ext-pack, guest-additions-iso, and other add-ons are right there to download too.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It used to be v5.0.40, so they've upped it. The old version worked fine and I only recently upgraded to 5.2.8 and the latest from oracle is now 5.2.12. But... the recommendations across this forum are get the latest from oracle. I was quite happy with the old version - it worked (and until recently the newer versions would not work in seamless mode). And then we had problems with kernel conflicts (think it was 4.13, I'm on 4.4) with the later versions that now seem to have been fixed. :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Chris Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Chris!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Now you are here, you'll NEVER escape! Welcome to the bottom of the 'hole'. :D
For 3D drawing there are some absolute crackers in Linux, BUT!!!! There is a steep learning curve and some Windows stuff created may not readily port.

I'm going through similar at the moment. Most of my stuff was created using Sketchup, though I also have limited Autocad experience.

In the past may barrier to Linux was M$ Office. I had a lot of stuff in VBA for Werd and Excrement that did not port to Open Office easily - This has largely been fixed in later versions of Libre Office, so that's one problem solved.

I also had an extensive Database in Acsux which I've abandoned and am re-creating by adapting another program to suit.

Have fun with Linux, it just "WORKS"! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

I cannot abandon My 3D-software, it is Inventor(autodesk) btw.
During the years I drew literal thousands of parts. I can not simply set these all aside and start all over with some new software, unless I can import Inventor related files in Linux ..?
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

And btw, meanwhile installed a bunch of Linux OSes on different PC's. Going to start on nr 7... :lol:
Got LOTS of help here on this forum...

THIS FORUM IS AWSOME...! THANKS A LOT...!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”