dumped windows , my journey into linux again

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brothergc

dumped windows , my journey into linux again

Post by brothergc »

windows 10 started becoming a nightmere for me it was always giving me problems , privacy concerns , webpages not loading corectly , bloatware , useless software , apps crashing , fighting with "trutsed installer " over what to uninstall , trusted installer reg key ownership . Windows 10 is IMO a Joke finally fed up I went linux shopping .
Tryed manjaro most all flavors ,cinnimon , mate , kde just did not run right , issues with nvidia drivers that I spent 2 days trying to fix and finally gave up , never could get the nvidia drivers to save their settings even though I used good instructions
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... on_Startup
Then their was antergos linus that may or may not boot up their live install media , and chinci installer was still in beta with their latest release . ( really ? ) :lol:
Now I gave linux Mint 19 beta cin edition a spin , writting this post on it now and still kicking the tires , but I am impressed installed flawless on my Asrock K-4 Z270 with a intell I5 7600k, 16 gig ddr4 2400, Nvidia 1060 6gb graphics,samsung 960 evo 2050mb MVME drive ( smoking fast ! ) running, installed ,and booted in UEIF mode ! I never seen linux do that .
Mint corectly sees my mvme drive , installing vid drivers was painless m and best of all , remembers settings on next boot ! :mrgreen: oh yea! :mrgreen:
So a big shout out to the linux mint team and to Microcrap ( microsoft ) you can kiss my rosey red A** :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: dumped windows , my journey into linux again

Post by kc1di »

Hello brothergc and Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint :)
Enjoy !
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
rado84

Post by rado84 »

brothergc wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:42 pm finally fed up
You have no idea how happy I am to read that! Finally the first Windows 10 sheep evolved and saw Crapows 10 for what it really is! :mrgreen:

As for the nvidia settings, there is a way to make them stay. Make your settings, then press the button marked with red circle-ish as on the screenshot. When asked, overwrite the available file.

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, brothergc! I moved your post to the Introduce yourself forums area, since it wasn't a support question.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

While I do use Manjaro as my only distro, I see Mint as being more suitable for users new to Linux and especially with non-tech minded folks who just want a working system without dealing with Windows 10 crap. And advanced users and make use of Mint as well. This really depends on what you out of your system.

Welcome back to Linux.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums and Linux Mint.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello brothergc Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome from another recent "convert", you won't look back.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Welcome brothergc :) the Mint Forums are a good place to be! Hope you get as much pleasure from using Mint & the Mint Forum as I and many others have.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Hello, brothergc!

A fellow beginner in Linux. You're more forgiving than I, because the only time I ran Windows 10 was on a new laptop which came with Win 10 pre-installed. I ran it just to make sure the laptop is in running condition. I did not even go through the installation process. After that I immediately erased it by installing Linux Mint. :lol:

My dislike of Win 10 can be traced back to when it first started nagging me repeatedly to install it from inside my Win 7 machine. I actually had to find a permanent way to prevent it from doing that again.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
brothergc

Post by brothergc »

well windows 7 is getting bad as well . I had the bright idea of building a windows 7 machine from scratch , bad idea . See when I left windows 7 was when they 1st started that upgrade crap . Now windows 7 is so locked down , that I could not delete bogas reg entries when I uninstalled a sound card ,! Good Lord when You , logged in as admin, does not have permissions to edit your own registry , it is Forget You Microcrap take your software and shove it !
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

nVidia and Linux..... perpetual odd problems are guaranteed.... just make your peace with it and NEVER use the latest driver, similar to never using the latest kernels funny enough.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”