Glad I finally made the switch

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty_Fresh_One

Glad I finally made the switch

Post by Minty_Fresh_One »

Hi, All.

So, I've always liked tinkering with things to either fix them or figure out how they work, etc. Although, I'm not a computer expert, I've always loved computers. I don't know how many times I've had to re-install Windows because I made one too many changes and couldn't recover! I've tried out dozens of different Linux distros on virtual machines before, but kept coming back to Linux Mint. More recently, I've grown tired of the intrusiveness of many of the devices and applications that I use everyday - especially the way many of the large tech companies use our personal data with or without our knowledge or permission. Anyway, I'm a big fan of anything that is open source and transparent. So, I got rid of Windows 10 and am 100% Linux now (at least at home, anyway)! There's definitely a learning curve (since I've been a Windows user for ~25 years) but that's what makes it interesting to me!

I'm glad there this forum exists, because I know I will be using it as a reference for a while. Soon, I hope to be able to return the favor and contribute so that others can learn.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Glad I finally made the switch

Post by Pierre »

Hey - - welcome to our Forum
:D

you will find that some of us started out in a similar fashion - - Tinkering Around
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Minty_Fresh_One Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Minty_Fresh_One,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I think we've all been there, minty_fresh_one. My usual rule with Windows goes right back to my days in DOS. A full format and reload is sometimes quicker than trying to fix a niggling problem that you caused. Up until Windows 7 I could be back up and running in under an hour with Windows. then came 10. I was happy enough until it broke all of my machines with an "update", now NONE have 10 on them! Only last month I HAD to fix my grandson's school computer which has Windows as a requirement. 7 hours later I was finally able to install some software. Linux takes ma all of 20 minutes from the time I boot the live USB to the time I have the system installed, updated, and my programs up and running. WHY would anyone subject themselves to anything M$????

Oh! Welcome, BTW. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”