Greetings from Denmark

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JustAnotherLinusUser

Greetings from Denmark

Post by JustAnotherLinusUser »

Hello, I'm a newbe to this forum...AND to Linux in general. Having said that using Linux as main OS on my PC for about a fortnight or so, only makes me crave for more knowledge on how Linux works, how to install windows based software, how to use the terminal and so on. In fact it's beyond my comprehension why I didn't do so years ago :wink:
I started out installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on my wifes lappy! She got it for Christmas and was beginning to show unhealthy side effects like insomnia and severe misbehavior (just kidding) after 5 months using Windows 10 - espacially the windows 10 Update Manager was giving her an ulcer (also just kidding). She actually asked me if I could "do something about it"....so I did. And to my pleasant surprise it worked out just fine. Then I finally got around installing the same Linux on my main PC, Though Windows 7 was running quite nicely on it. There's actually not much I miss from my past Windows life, and all software and tools I need I can find in the Linux universe as well. In fact there's a lot in Linux you can get for free, that is not available on Windows.
I can come up with only one thing that sadly isn't supported on Linux yet. That's my Malwarebytes Antimalware (using vers. 1.70.0.110) I bought years ago. So after spending quite some time learning how to make a workable installation of Malwarebytes (it even made a working shortcut on my desktop) using Wine and Winetricks, I now can continue using this very reliable tool. In fact it's the best protection software I've ever come across.
There's only one lack to it. It won't let me enable filesystem protection and malicious malware blocking, witch wasn't an issue on Windows.....soooo maybe - just maybe - there's one or two out there who knows how to fix that one... (?)

Thanks for you time and have a great Linux-time. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Greetings from Denmark

Post by WharfRat »

Hello JustAnotherLinusUser Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello JustAnotherLinusUser and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
It's a good place to learn, enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

JustAnotherLinusUser wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm
I can come up with only one thing that sadly isn't supported on Linux yet. That's my Malwarebytes Antimalware (using vers. 1.70.0.110) I bought years ago. So after spending quite some time learning how to make a workable installation of Malwarebytes (it even made a working shortcut on my desktop) using Wine and Winetricks, I now can continue using this very reliable tool. In fact it's the best protection software I've ever come across.
There's only one lack to it. It won't let me enable filesystem protection and malicious malware blocking, witch wasn't an issue on Windows.....soooo maybe - just maybe - there's one or two out there who knows how to fix that one... (?)

Thanks for you time and have a great Linux-time. :D
Hello and welcome to the forum and to Linux Mint. Regarding anti-virus and security in general, here's a different view from one of our active forum members (Pjotr):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

I have been using Linux Mint for over 4 years now without any anti-virus program and if I've ever been hacked, I see no evidence of it. I do recommend using the program Firejail to sandbox your applications, particularly your brower.

Lots of good info on Pjotr's site about Linux Mint in general:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi JustAnotherLinusUser,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mint.
I'll second slipstick's recommendation of visiting Pjotr's website, it is full of useful and informative Linux information.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce Yourself”