Hi from Ohio

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobalooie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi from Ohio

Post by bobalooie »

Hello all,

I'm a licensed professional electrical engineer, been involved with computing since high school (IBM 1130 and punch cards!). I enjoy retrocomputing with the TRS-80 machines and emulators. My first experience with Linux was with Slackware V4. I switched to Linux Mint with 17.1, been very impressed with the system ever since. I still like Slackware but I don't have the time for the care and feeding that Slackware sometimes requires.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
It's not the having, it's the doing.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Hi from Ohio

Post by lsemmens »

You're lucky that Slackware only requires occasional care and feeding, think how much effort another OS that you'd have to pay for would require! ;) Welcome to Mint, where nothing ever goes wrong......well, hardly ever.....:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Greetings, fellow Buckeye!
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome Bobilooie!

This from the guy that designed and built the PDU that powered the ROV that fixed the BP oil spill in the gulf a few years back.
Not a PE but have been building electronic devices since before transistors (vacuum tubes) Teaching boolean algebra in the mid 60's.
programming commandline with punch cards and tape. Micro computers design and use since the 4008 and sinclairs, C64's. :mrgreen:
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Bobilooie Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, bobalooie!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello bobalooie and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
I also start linux many years ago with slackware and have moved to mint in recent years. Just as you said had to spend too much time keep slack up to speed.
In any event enjoy the forums it's a great place.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
bobalooie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobalooie »

kc1di wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm Hello bobalooie and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
I also start linux many years ago with slackware and have moved to mint in recent years. Just as you said had to spend too much time keep slack up to speed.
In any event enjoy the forums it's a great place.
Tnx de K8TYM.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!

Ah, the TSR-80! Never had one, but wanted one.
bobalooie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobalooie »

Tomgin5 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm Welcome Bobilooie!

This from the guy that designed and built the PDU that powered the ROV that fixed the BP oil spill in the gulf a few years back.
Not a PE but have been building electronic devices since before transistors (vacuum tubes) Teaching boolean algebra in the mid 60's.
programming commandline with punch cards and tape. Micro computers design and use since the 4008 and sinclairs, C64's. :mrgreen:
Nice! I started my career in controls but my PE is actually in power engineering. I work for an industrial engineering consulting firm, so all my engineering is in big wires, big voltages and big currents.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi bobalooie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”