Hello to All from Ohio USA

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LarryR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to All from Ohio USA

Post by LarryR »

Hi,

My name is Larry. I'm a recent Linux Mint convert from Windows. Discussing my issues with Windows here is much like sitting on a park bench discussing ageing issues with elderly pigeon feeders. Nothing will get accomplished. The biggest single issue is that Mint allows me to waste time on the internet and not steal the data that my activities creates. Privacy ! I really like that! I am aware of privacy issues with Firefox and Google and such but at least my OS is no longer betraying my every move to marketing people. Thank you Linux Mint and thanks to those in the forum for providing help in making my transition smooth.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Man will not seek what he does not know until he knows he does not know it." -- Socrates
"Woman has an open mind and skunks the men Socrates refers to." -- LarryR
WharfRat

Re: Hello to All from Ohio USA

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Larry Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Larry!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
LarryR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarryR »

WharfRat and Jimallyn ... I am just blown away that I, a Linux Mint newbie, would receive not just one but acknowledgements from TWO Linux Mint level 18 gurus. I have been using 18.3 Cinnamon for a couple of months and jumped, with both feet, into the 19 beta release. I think I have learned my newbie lesson not to do that! :lol: I am a retired IBM Systems Engineer who worked with DOS, OS2, Windows intimately and don't like where they have all gone! I love Mint Cinnamon and can't get away from the computer. Thanks to you both!
"Man will not seek what he does not know until he knows he does not know it." -- Socrates
"Woman has an open mind and skunks the men Socrates refers to." -- LarryR
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Larry and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
Great to have you here :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

acknowledgements from TWO Linux Mint level 18 gurus
Yes jimallyn is guru, however WharfRat is now Diety
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

LarryR wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:45 pmI am just blown away that I, a Linux Mint newbie, would receive not just one but acknowledgements from TWO Linux Mint level 18 gurus.
We're a rather friendly forum here.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to Mint, Larry. I love your analogy! I sold IBM computers for a while when OS/2 Warp was being bundled with some of them. I saw the value in that OS, although I did not get to play with it as much as I'd have liked, and am disappointed that it failed to gain any real acceptance. From what I saw, it was everything Windows should have been, and, even now, would probably still put Windows to shame. Did they ever start development of a 64bit version of OS/2?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums LarryR!
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Welcome to the forum and to Mint Larry R