Experienced newbie

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jxr182

Experienced newbie

Post by jxr182 »

Hey guys! My name's Jamie. I'm a chronic OS hopper (windows, mac, and all the various Linux distros). I've used Linux off and on for literally years but feel I still know nothing about how it works. I can load a terminal and spit out some "apt get"'s and some "uname"'s but that's about it. When the troubleshooting gets tough my backups get to work and I find a new temporary home for the day. The "fun" of constantly changing operating systems is starting to wear off and I've had quite a few near misses with losing all of my data on backups so I finally made a concerted effort to find "the one" I could stick with. It came down to Manjaro and Mint and I picked Mint just because I'm more comfortable with an Ubuntu base than an Arch base. So here I am. I'm going to try to get involved in the forums not so much because I know how to help people, but so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts. Anyway nice to meet ya'll.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Experienced newbie

Post by JoeFootball »

jxr182 wrote:... so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts.
Welcome! :) And welcome to your continuous learning experience. I got my start with Unix back in college, and picked up Linux in 1999, and every day since has been learning something new.

For your terminal education, may I also recommend LinuxCommand.org and its companion The Linux Command Line book (it's available for free as a PDF). Both the website and book are very well done.

Joe
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello jxr182 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Jamie!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi, Jamie, I must commend you upon your decision to select Mint. Welcome to the most stable distro that I use. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jxr182 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am I'm going to try to get involved in the forums not so much because I know how to help people, but so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts. Anyway nice to meet ya'll.
Welcome aboard. You'll feel right at home here helping others.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”