New member to forum

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k5nwa

New member to forum

Post by k5nwa »

Hello, everyone, my name is Cecil Bayona and I been playing with Linux Mint for a while but now I'm seriously dumping Windows 10 on my main PCs and switching to Linux Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop.

Most things are working fine so far but I will keep at least one i7 computer running Windows to run Adobe LightRoom and DVDFab.

I have had one issue, with Mint V18.3 I can easily remote into Windows and Linux PCs but with the latest version 19.0 they do not include any software (Vino) to allow a logging by another computer a search on the Internet has been not been productive as many different fixes are proposed and many fail to instal since they don't apply to version 19.0

In any case, I keep on trying.

Thanks

CBayona
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: New member to forum

Post by WharfRat »

Hello CBayona Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi k5nwa,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I.) Adobe LightRoom - There very good alternatives to this available for Linux

3 open source alternatives to Adobe Lightroom | Opensource.com
https://opensource.com/alternatives/adobe-lightroom

Corel AfterShot Pro 3- RAW Photo Editing Software & Raw Converter
https://www.aftershotpro.com/en/product ... rack=mmasp

7 Apps That Prove You Don't Need Adobe Creative Suite on Linux
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-apps-pr ... ite-linux/

Best Free and Open Source Alternatives to Adobe Products for Linux | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/adobe-alternatives-linux/

II.) DVDFab - use "MakeMKV" in Linux. Install ffmpeg v3.x, x264, x265 from "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". Restart computer afterward. I found in Linux Mint 19 that I had to enter in the registration code a couple times before it took, but it did save it and it always works great.

MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD
https://www.makemkv.com/

To install MakeMKV using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
Registration code:
MakeMKV is free while in beta - www.makemkv.com
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

T-aOOAOSdZWjJvlEAkqTMx@FmIUDQ9Uw5gNT2t0HYlnR3M7MpMj4EcvPPV3rImuagWuo

III.) There are many remote access options available for Linux Mint, search the forum and the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Cecil de N7JA.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

your username appears to be a ham radio license call sign,

if that is the case, 73 from K5AWO, I crawled up to Extra Class back in 1981, licensed since 1958.
"met a lot of friends" via radio in the 1st 30 years of interest..... kind of lost that interest around 1991.

something called computers showed up :roll: :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

+1 on MakeMKV, you also need handbrake:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
apt update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
Ripped all my DVD collection and put them on my NAS. I wouldn't say it was as straightforward as DVDfab (which I had a look at), but it is free.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
k5nwa

Post by k5nwa »

phd21 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 pm Hi k5nwa,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I.) Adobe LightRoom - There very good alternatives to this available for Linux

3 open source alternatives to Adobe Lightroom | Opensource.com
https://opensource.com/alternatives/adobe-lightroom

Corel AfterShot Pro 3- RAW Photo Editing Software & Raw Converter
https://www.aftershotpro.com/en/product ... rack=mmasp

7 Apps That Prove You Don't Need Adobe Creative Suite on Linux
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-apps-pr ... ite-linux/

Best Free and Open Source Alternatives to Adobe Products for Linux | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/adobe-alternatives-linux/

II.) DVDFab - use "MakeMKV" in Linux. Install ffmpeg v3.x, x264, x265 from "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". Restart computer afterward. I found in Linux Mint 19 that I had to enter in the registration code a couple times before it took, but it did save it and it always works great.

MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD
https://www.makemkv.com/

To install MakeMKV using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
Registration code:
MakeMKV is free while in beta - www.makemkv.com
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

T-aOOAOSdZWjJvlEAkqTMx@FmIUDQ9Uw5gNT2t0HYlnR3M7MpMj4EcvPPV3rImuagWuo

III.) There are many remote access options available for Linux Mint, search the forum and the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for the links and procedures, I will be trying them out later in the week, as far as Lightroom is concerned the other day while looking to see if Lightroom will run with Wine I found a substitute that is very capable and saved a link, the name escapes me but I will find it and test it too.

This morning I looked at how to setup Vino in Mint 19 and found a procedure that worked so I bookmarked it.
k5nwa

Post by k5nwa »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 am your username appears to be a ham radio license call sign,

if that is the case, 73 from K5AWO, I crawled up to Extra Class back in 1981, licensed since 1958.
"met a lot of friends" via radio in the 1st 30 years of interest..... kind of lost that interest around 1991.

something called computers showed up :roll: :roll:
I live in North West Arkansas referred as NWA, when I applied for a license I was given KD5NWA at random, later I upgraded to Extra and found the license K5NWA as available and it had never been assigned so I asked for it and got it. A little while later N5WA was available but I passed on it. I mostly like designing and building radios so I'm not on the air very much not even 2 meters.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi k5nwa,

You are welcome...

Let us know what you think with the various software recommendations and how it is going for you and your Linux Mint...

FYI: There are various HAM radio software packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" as well.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
k5nwa

Post by k5nwa »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:31 am +1 on MakeMKV, you also need handbrake:

apt update
Ripped all my DVD collection and put them on my NAS. I wouldn't say it was as straightforward as DVDfab (which I had a look at), but it is free.
Thanks for the procedure and references to HandBrake, it looks interesting.

What I usually do is when I buy a DVD or Blue Ray Disk is that I rip it, store it on my NAS drives and put away the original, from then on I use the NAS copy to view the video anywhere in the house, that works well for me. I also keep a 2TB HD with copies of my favorite movies and series to use when I go on a trip and I'm bored at a hotel, 100's of videos to choose from without risking the originals.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forum.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

What I usually do is when I buy a DVD or Blue Ray Disk is that I rip it, store it on my NAS drives and put away the original, from then on I use the NAS copy to view the video anywhere in the house, that works well for me. I also keep a 2TB HD with copies of my favorite movies and series to use when I go on a trip and I'm bored at a hotel, 100's of videos to choose from without risking the originals.
Likewise, all my DVDs are in the attic. You may need to install some additional libraries and codecs in addition to handbrake and makeMKV.

libdvd-pkg
libdvdcss2
mint-meta-codecs
maybe ubuntu-restricted-extras ??

Best way to check is search in the synaptic package manager (admin menu) to see if there and installed.

Handbrake can't handle a lot of copy protected DVDs but makeMKV can. Generally I try handbrake first, normally it fails, then I've used makeMKV which generates a huge MKV file and then use handbrake to convert to m4v, much smaller.

Can't help with blue ray.

If you want to edit video files have a look at dmMediaConverter (search the web), e.g. splicing a couple of MKVs into one file. I've got it but not used it. Depends on ffmpeg (not installed by default but in software manager). There are other alternatives out there that others can advise on.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
k5nwa

Post by k5nwa »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:31 am +1 on MakeMKV, you also need handbrake:

apt update

I installed Handbrake and makemkv with no problems, I'm testing them now. Handbrake looks interesting because so many items can be configured on it but it suffers from the same issue as many free Windows rippers, they do not utilize the NVidia Cuda Cores like DVDFAB does so a movie that takes 25 minutes on DVDFAB and uses 7% of the CPU takes 8.5 Hours and eats 100% of the CPU on Handbrake.

makemkv must be using the Cuda cores, it took about 10 minutes and used less than 10% of the cores, but it's not very configurable at all I can't specify the file type, compression, or just about anything else. It's free now but will need to be purchased after the Beta stage, how much? Who knows.

On both the movie looks decent, the subtitles are present and they look good so far so good. In any case, I will start a new thread in another area since this conversation has moved from its initial subject.

Thanks, everyone, this has got me started so we can only get better from here.
k5nwa

Post by k5nwa »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 pm
Likewise, all my DVDs are in the attic. You may need to install some additional libraries and codecs in addition to handbrake and makeMKV.

libdvd-pkg
libdvdcss2
mint-meta-codecs
maybe ubuntu-restricted-extras ??

Best way to check is search in the synaptic package manager (admin menu) to see if there and installed.

Handbrake can't handle a lot of copy protected DVDs but makeMKV can. Generally I try handbrake first, normally it fails, then I've used makeMKV which generates a huge MKV file and then use handbrake to convert to m4v, much smaller.

Can't help with blue ray.

If you want to edit video files have a look at dmMediaConverter (search the web), e.g. splicing a couple of MKVs into one file. I've got it but not used it. Depends on ffmpeg (not installed by default but in software manager). There are other alternatives out there that others can advise on.
The attic is a bad place to store stuff you want to keep due to temperature extremes, mine are kept in tubs inside the house, with heating and air conditioning.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It's free now but will need to be purchased after the Beta stage, how much? Who knows.
It's been in beta forever :D

Don't have cuda cores in my laptop, but I'm just about to build a new desktop with a GTX180 - so I've learn't something. On my T430 DVDs typically take 45mins handbrake or makeMKV, also hottest I get my CPU - around 85c.
The attic is a bad place to store stuff
- actually a loft conversion, so temp and humidity good.
k5nwa

[SOLVED] Re: New member to forum

Post by k5nwa »

Thanks, to everyone for the assistance, making a bit of headway with ripping, tomorrow I will tackle a replacement for Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks

CBayona
[/quote]

Return to “Introduce Yourself”