Hello from NoVA

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smaus13

Hello from NoVA

Post by smaus13 »

Hi all :D I'm from DC area in VA. I've been shopping Linux distributions to cut ties with windows for a time and settled on Mint. It is really intuitive and clean and I am starting to dive in so I came to the forums.

Currently dual booting Mint 19 Cinnamon and Win10 on a middle-aged laptop and planning on doing the same for a desktop I'm building. The plan is to have everything except select games on Mint and keep a minimal windows profile...unless I find success with wine.

I'm new to the Linux and pc building world but am exciting about it and trying to catch on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Hello from NoVA

Post by WharfRat »

Hello smaus13 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, smaus13! Are you using Steam games? They recently announced that they had done some work with the Wine people and now a whole lot of Windows games will run in Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Welcome to LM. I hale from the Tidewater area, so we are virtual next-door-neighbors!

The LM forums are probably the most friendly of it's genre on the net - I think you're going to like it here!

Building a desktop computer for Linux. Read up on what's compatible and what's not. Gotta remember that support for bleeding-edge hardware might be lacking a bit. If you're not sure, ask here before you buy (in the Hardware Support sub-forum) and folks will be happy to give you the benefit of their experience - saving you a lot of grief down the road.

Above all - have fun!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi smaus13,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi smaus13,

Welcome from SA (down under) :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smaus13 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:17 am Hi all :D I'm from DC area in VA.
Welcome aboard! Where in the world is DC in VA?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smaus13

Post by smaus13 »

Thanks all
jimallyn wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 pm Welcome aboard, smaus13! Are you using Steam games? They recently announced that they had done some work with the Wine people and now a whole lot of Windows games will run in Linux.
I did see that announcement on these forums actually (joining is already paying off). Still doesn't include all games I was hoping to play (like WoW, LoL) but steam does house a decent bit of my library so I am happy about the news :D I will attempt to configure the outliers according to whatever guides I find (I know it can be done albeit with a slight fps tithe).
srq2625 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:31 pm Welcome to LM. I hale from the Tidewater area, so we are virtual next-door-neighbors!

The LM forums are probably the most friendly of it's genre on the net - I think you're going to like it here!

Building a desktop computer for Linux. Read up on what's compatible and what's not. Gotta remember that support for bleeding-edge hardware might be lacking a bit. If you're not sure, ask here before you buy (in the Hardware Support sub-forum) and folks will be happy to give you the benefit of their experience - saving you a lot of grief down the road.

Above all - have fun!
Awesome! Thanks for the tip I will poke my nose around in there.
catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:52 am Welcome aboard! Where in the world is DC in VA?
Washington, DC, USA metropolitan area. But I'm part of the Virginia portion as opposed to Maryland or DC proper.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”