Hello from Space Coast Florida -- Saying goodbye to SuSE

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Hello from Space Coast Florida -- Saying goodbye to SuSE

Post by bearzlos »

Hello, everyone. After about 20 years using SuSE Linux (and only SuSE starting with version 7 and now with Leap 42.3) I've just grown very tired of the constant changes from what I felt over the years were various stable, KDE, user-focused and friendly versions to what now seems to be more of a developer-focused SuSE (Leap 15). I no longer find it quite so friendly for those of us who just want to turn it on and have it work. Sadly, so many of the nice features that made SuSE nice to work with started disappearing with version 10.3. It's just not what it was, and I liked what it was.

I am not into compiling and writing my own code. I'm barely competent on the command line. I'm just a dedicated Linux user who 20+ years ago got burned a few too many times by infections on Windows computers, and I found that once installed Linux didn't bite me in the a$$. And the flexibility of some Open-Source programs such as Libre Office gave me flexibility Microsoft's products did not.

Now it's time to say goodbye to SuSE, and I've loaded Mint 19 Cinnamon onto a new computer (AMD Ryzen 3-2200). I'm in the gradual process of learning the differences in the installation and update processes, and soon I hope to begin moving my files from this SuSE computer to Mint.

I've been used to .rpms and having to search and load my selected repositories, multi-media codecs, etc. for so many years. Hopefully it's going to take me just a short while to learn about Mint's repositories, etc. So I'm exploring around the Mint menus to see where there are similarities and where there are clear differences.

I think once I get my files moved over things will go much faster and I'll be able to customize my desktop and make the new computer my own. For now I am switching back and forth between the computers -- doing my daily work on SuSE and learing Mint at night. Can't wait for the day I can finally "cut the cord" and be free of SuSE and full-time with Mint.

Having never used any flavor of Linux other than SuSE I think this will be most interesting. I just have to learn a lot of new program names and what each of them does. Oh, I think I hear the school bell ringing. Must be Mint class starting! 8)
Bearzlos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Hello from Space Coast Florida -- Saying goodbye to SuSE

Post by lsemmens »

You'll like Mint, it is way less intrusive than the M$ product. I cannot comment on SUSE, having never used it. Welcome, anyway.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

welcome to our Forum.
:D
that SuSE is a really nice system, but I've only played with it, some years back.

you may find that it's *.RPM repository is somewhat larger than what is available in the Debian repository.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi bearzlos,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums, Bearzlos!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome to the forums, Bearzlos!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Welcome, Bearzlos! I've been keeping track of openSUSE myself for over a decade, mainly because I wanted to stay in touch with the RPM based branch of the distro's.

I used to like it a lot, and have always regarded it as a fine alternative for the *buntu's and their derivatives. But unfortunately I, too, have lost some of my enthusiasm.

You'll like Mint. It's stable, reliable and very easy, which is fine for me because I'm very lazy. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Distorted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Distorted »

welcome to Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the world of Mint bearzlos.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello bearzlos Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”