Hello Cruel World!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tater
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hello Cruel World!

Post by Tater »

phd21 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:51 pm Hi Tater, and Anyone Else Interested in this,

I finished creating a video tutorial on using some features of "XnViewMP" and "Pix" image browsers, "Kolourpaint" image editor, "Ksnip" screen capture and editor, and doing basic image editing like "Crop", "Resize (Scale)", and to save, export, or convert image(s) to another format.

Click link below to view this tutorial video
https://youtu.be/6mPOPKGPZn0

Hope this helps ...
phd21, I just finished watching this video. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to put that together. XnViewMP is going to get a tryout. As I watched the video and the workflow of the programs I think I figured out a couple of things that I'm looking for. I also really liked the look of that ksnip. I used to use snippy on Windows machines all the time and I use the Snipping Tool now.

I will be looking at some of the other videos you have done. Thank you again for the video.
Current victims:
Mint 21 Cinnamon on an MSI B450-a Pro Max AMD Ryzen 5 / 3.6 Ghz 6 Core (12 Thread) w/ 16 GB Ram

Mint 21 XFCE on a Dell Latitude D830 Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz w/ 4 GB Ram

OS Reinstall Counter is set at 8
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Glad to know that you are making progress. Wish you good luck for your Mint journey.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Tater
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tater »

I have broken Linux Mint 19 Mate. My OS reinstall counter is now set at 1.

Apparently, adding debian.org to my repositories to get a more up-to-date version of a dependency necessary for ksnip was not wise. :shock: As soon as I got the keys set up: Every application on my computer that existed in debian.orgs repository updated. That right there will definitely cause some issues. One of which was that Timeshift was broken. The most annoying of which was an inability to boot. :roll: As I watched the update manager go to work I just started looking for my bootable USB: I knew. :lol:

So. I downloaded Linux Mint 19 Mate and put it on a USB. Booted from the USB and copied my home folder to another USB. Then I installed Linux Mint 19 Mate fresh.

Which obviously means that I have to set up the computer again. So, also obviously, I am learning that some things have changed between 18 and 19. Since I originally set up networking and my appearance in 18 and then upgraded I have to do it now with the changed tools.

I am having issues with the panel, which is very obstinate about arrangement of the launch icons on the left. For some reason that I am not fathoming I can add a launcher but I cannot move it from the left end of the row of launchers to the right end. Any attempt to move it to that end just moves it out of that area and puts it on the right end of the panel to the left of the notification area. This also puts it crowding the open application tabs making them invisible unless you drag it to the right. I have unchecked "Lock to Panel" on all of them and tried, only some and tried...

I have done some searching and all I can find is instructions that say to select an option from the panel context menu that does not exist on my panel context menu. All I can do is reset the panel. I remember that I found the panel frustrating and not really very customizable the first time I installed Mate.

I could just accept the order that the launchers decide to be in. I may remove all of the launchers and then add them back individually in the order that I want them to be. Surely, that can't be the method envisioned by the designers. But if I can't find another method, it's worth a shot.

I also can't get my Mint computer to talk with my Win 7 computer and the things I did before aren't working. So I have to do some research and see if I can't get the networking to work completely this time. With the last install I could only get to a shared folder on the Windows machine from Linux. Not the other way around. And I could use the printer on the Win 7 box from Linux. Right now I can't even see the printer and while I can see that a Windows network is there from Linux, I can't see the Linux box from Windows. The only change here is on the Linux side, so that narrows my list of possible issues I suppose.

There are other things, but first things first.

Onward.
Current victims:
Mint 21 Cinnamon on an MSI B450-a Pro Max AMD Ryzen 5 / 3.6 Ghz 6 Core (12 Thread) w/ 16 GB Ram

Mint 21 XFCE on a Dell Latitude D830 Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz w/ 4 GB Ram

OS Reinstall Counter is set at 8
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please make a separate thread and copy paste your last post in the proper category. This is because it's a different problem
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

PEBCAK R US----2,
The most difficult part of Linux is abandoning the Windows way of thinking.
The best way to do this is 'just never go there again'
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Tater,

You are welcome...

1.) "Ksnip" now has easy to install options like their AppImage and a deb (64-bit) file.

ksnip downloads
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/r ... continuous

2.) I agree with you regarding the Mate panel, I had trouble seeing anything running in the "taskbar", so I right-clicked it and unlocked it, move the separator bar just to the right of the far left "quick launch" icons to the right, then you can right-click icons to "move" them. Also try right-click panel select properties, the "Panel Properties" pop-up window appears, uncheck the "Expand" box.

Ubuntu MATE Customization [Complete Guide] - It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-mate-customization/

* Mate - Panel Taskbar application minimize issues - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=266912

3.) I think you have to install "samba" (and "winbind") from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" to access MS Windows Computers from your Linux computers. There are many good posts on this in this forum.

Samba Setup on Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10 / 18.04 with Windows Systems | Website for Students
https://websiteforstudents.com/samba-se ... s-systems/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Introduce Yourself”