Hello from Massachusetts!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkStH
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by MarkStH »

My first computer was an 8088 with two 5.25 drives, upgraded to a Swan 486/33 and was soon running QEMM & Desqview with a Renegade BBS that was updated to Wildcat and a Pioneer DRM-1804x CD changer. Went to a Tri-State fair with a friend and built my first computer with a friend's help and have built all but the laptops since.

I Worked in a factory for years until it closed, went to school and have been in IT ever since for a major insurance company.

I know very little about Linux but am learning and with Microsoft becoming more and more intrusive, it's (past) time to do something about that. I'm dual-booting Windows 10 Pro and Mint Cinnamon 19, with Win10 as the default until I have things working and have found Linux alternatives for our applications... and until my wife is comfortable enough to give a thumbs up to a format and installation of Mint as the only OS.

HPLIP saved the day with the SLOOOW printing of a Laserjet 4M Plus on a serial-USB adapter. I quickly learned how to set the OS default in GRUB and that folder names are case sensitive in Terminal. :-)

I'm psyched about this and hope to eventually be a contributor of some value here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by phd21 »

Hi MarkStH,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi MarkStH,
Welcome to Mint and the forums.
I'm dual-booting Windows 10 Pro and Mint Cinnamon 19, with Win10 as the default until I have things working and have found Linux alternatives for our applications... and until my wife is comfortable enough to give a thumbs up to a format and installation of Mint as the only OS.
The transition is simpler than it seems at first so hang in there, and be sure to get answers to your questions here--on this forum.
Good luck to you both and Cheers.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hi, and welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello MarkStH Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”