Hello, I'm Zach. I also have some questions.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Linuxmad101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm Zach. I also have some questions.

Post by Linuxmad101 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I am zach :o , and have been using Linux for the past six years on and off :mrgreen: . I am now using it permanent :D as all my software works on here. If I could ask some questions, that be great! 8) Now my first question is.

1) how many people use linux?

2) will we always have linux?

3) how popular is Linux?

Thank you and nice to meet you all!!

Zach

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hello, I'm Zach. I also have some questions.

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:25 am

Linuxmad101 wrote:I am zach :o , and have been using Linux for the past six years on and off :mrgreen: . I am now using it permanent :D
Welcome aboard!
Linuxmad101 wrote:1) how many people use linux?
Linux is just about everywhere in just about everything, so your question is pretty broad, so I will similarly answer, lots. See here for more information.
Linuxmad101 wrote:2) will we always have linux?
Always is a long time, and just about all technologies become obsolete someday, so I will answer no. But for our practical purposes today and tomorrow, yes.
Linuxmad101 wrote:3) how popular is Linux?
Very. Like I said, Linux is everywhere. I'm fairly certain the majority of people who use Linux in some capacity, don't even realize they are.

Joe

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Linuxmad101,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

Linuxmad101 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm
Hello everyone,

I am zach
Hello from Sunny(ish) S.W. Florida!

I believe JoeFootball gave pretty good direct answers to your questions (at least, as directly as they likely can be answered) so I won't try to repeat any of that. And, as you're not a brand new user of GNU+Linux, that also rules out certain other sorts of answers to give.

That all said, welcome to one of the nicest distros which exists! I'll try and reinterpret your questions on a strictly personal level.

I use LM full time and have for a couple years now. Yes, every once in a while I'll blow my computer away and install another distro so I can check it out, but that's probably more a reflection of my being a tech enthusiast than anything else. GNU+Linux as an overall ecosystem is unique in not just the history of computer operating systems but also in the modern era of technology because it was designed to be a rising tide which floats all boats, and not just to take care of one person's or company's needs, nor to simply create another commercialized product to sell. This is true both on the level of the technology itself inasmuch as the source code undergirding it all is freely available to everyone, and also on the level of ethos and ethic, because this was and still is a matter of principle to all those who collectively contributed to its origins as well as most of the rest of us who choose to call it home.

Again, welcome aboard, and I hope you really enjoy this distro and these forums.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Linuxmad101 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm
2) will we always have linux?
I don't know the answer to that, but to answer a slightly different question, if I was asked which operating system today would still be around in 100 years, I would answer 'Linux.'

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Welcome to the forums!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mint Forums
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 am

Welcome, Zach.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56 am

Hello Linuxmad101 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

webwrx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by webwrx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 am

Hi Zach, and welcome aboard.

I'm new here myself, but have a long background in computers. I recently saw a video on YouTube which made me realise Linux is almost ubiquitous. It's everywhere because it's strong and reliable. Take a look at Linux is Freaking Weird - it's a bit funny, but also opens your eyes as to how important Linux is.

I can attest to this because I used to drive trains in Sydney, and all the latest generation rollingstock runs on Linux and they don't miss a beat.

Return to “Introduce yourself”