Hi from Sweden

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gostal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi from Sweden

Post by gostal »

Hi everyone,

I've been a Linux enthusiast since the late 90's when there weren't all that many distros around. The big ones back then, still around BTW, were Red Hat, Debian and Slackware but there were also some other. I opted for Linux Mandrake which essentially gave you a Red Hat installation but with a KDE desktop. Nowadays, you can hardly make a Linux flavour only by the choice of desktop. I stayed with Mandrake until it started to have problems which was about the time that Ubuntu showed it's face. Since I liked the concept (Debian base but with up-to-date apps, frequent updates and reasonable release cycle) I decided to try it out on a laptop dual booting with windows. Although I really liked Ubuntu I had to chuck it out because it had utf8 hard coded into the automounting tools which meant that any tweaking I tried to make was ignored. The effect was that the contents of my FAT32 partitions didn't show up correctly and in the end the joy of Ubuntu couldn't outweigh the frustration the hard coded utf8 caused.

Not wishing to go back to Mandrake I opted for Arch since it had the decency trying not to interfere with third party software and also because I wanted to really get under the hood with Linux administration. Arch taught me quite a lot for some years until my boss told me that I couldn't do any more admin work myself but had to hand it over to the computer support people. It was good in way because my employer had hired a really good system's technician and I could safely leave the problems to him. On the other hand it meant that my admin skills deteriorated over the years and I had also to say good bye to Arch since the new Linux man preferred OpenSuse which has stayed on my stationary desktop ever since version 11.x and now my local Linux support has retired so what gives? The future will tell.

What about Mint? I got interested a couple of years ago by recommendation, downloaded the Mate version to a USB flash memory and ran it from there. I forget which release it was and it's now been replaced by Mint 19 still Mate version. Some three week ago the intention of actually installing it on a hard drive eventually came through and Mint has since been sitting on another laptop together with Windows 7. So far so good and more things work out of the box compared to OpenSuse Leap 42.3. There are some quirks, though, e.g. xterm refuses to give me a scroll bar and I can't sift previous commands by entering the beginning letters and hit Ctrl+Up Arrow. There are also some more issues that I've found but the advantages clearly outnumber the drawbacks so Welcome Mint! I don't believe I shall show you the door.

Happy Linuxing everyone and best wishes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lap: Latitude E6520, i3-2330M @ 2.20GHz, 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS Mint 19.1 version Mate, Windows 7 Enterprise
Desk: Dell Precision T5810, Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz,72 GB, Radeon Pro WX 7100, OS CentOS 7.7
Stockholm, Sweden
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Hi from Sweden

Post by Laurent85 »

Welcome to Linux Mint and the forums gostal.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Hi!
Nice to see more members from Sweden. :D
I just want to mention that there is a Swedish Mint forums as well.

Have a nice day.
och simma lugnt. :mrgreen:
//Marie
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hallå gostal,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

Välkommen till den underbara världen av Linux Mint och dess utmärkta forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome gostal, from the underside of the world!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gostal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gostal »

Hej, Marie!

Tack för info! Har precis reggat mig och väntar på kontoaktivering.
Thanks for the information. I have just registered and am presently awaiting account activation.

Ciao,
Lap: Latitude E6520, i3-2330M @ 2.20GHz, 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS Mint 19.1 version Mate, Windows 7 Enterprise
Desk: Dell Precision T5810, Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz,72 GB, Radeon Pro WX 7100, OS CentOS 7.7
Stockholm, Sweden
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello gostal Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”