New topic button, and setting up the win or google authenticator in linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kontigo1

New topic button, and setting up the win or google authenticator in linux mint

Post by Kontigo1 »

Hello jerry,

I am a newbie and feeling my way in.. Learning a bit everyday!... Even though i have sucessfully posted two questions which have been solved, i am now strugglimg to post another question ..cant find the "new topic" icon hence my replying to yr post ..perhaps you can help!

Anyway, my real question (apart from wanting to know where the new post icon is) is... On my old pc (windows) i was using win authenticator as two factor authorisation for a few websites i use (cryptocurrency stuff)... Now on my new pc, which i have set up linux mint 19 on (and loving it) Do you know how i set up the win or google authenticator in linux mint.. Also have to transfer other stuff, but any suggestions appreciated 👍thanks a lot david in cairns Australia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Hello From Akron, Ohio

Post by Moem »

Kontigo1 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 am cant find the "new topic" icon
It's in every forum section where you can start a new topic, so first go to the correct forum section and then find the button here (or at the very bottom of the page where there is a second one):
newtopic.jpg
Normally asking questions in someone elses introduction topic is considered rude, so I'll remove this once I'm sure you've seen it and know how to post. So please let me know. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kontigo1

Re: Hello From Akron, Ohio

Post by Kontigo1 »

Thanks for your reply jerry... Yes all good now... Thanks again.. Wasnt meaning to be rude, just couldnt find the new post icon. 👍
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: New topic button?

Post by Moem »

I'm not Jerry, but that's okay, and you're welcome. :D

(Just to make things clearer for other readers: this topic was split off from a different one, for obvious reasons.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Moem wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:38 am .
Without a topic adjustment most everyone's going to miss this being about (Windows or) Google Authenticator though (which I do not know the answer to).
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:46 am
Moem wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:38 am .
Without a topic adjustment most everyone's going to miss this being about (Windows or) Google Authenticator though (which I do not know the answer to).
He's probably best served to create a new topic now that he knows how to. I don't know the answer, either, for all I know google authenticator is an Android app and thus you use it on your smartphone, not your desktop, i.e. there's nothing to set up.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: New topic button, and setting up the win or google authenticator in linux mint

Post by Moem »

Good point, and yes, a new topic would be best. I mostly split this off because it had no business being in the old thread.

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New topic button, and setting up the win or google authenticator in linux mint

Post by smurphos »

There is a terminal based google-authenticator in the repos

apt install libpam-google-authenticator

To use after installation run google-authenticator

There is also a GUI Authenticator app available as a flatpak from Software Manager.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

gm10 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 am I don't know the answer, either, for all I know google authenticator is an Android app and thus you use it on your smartphone, not your desktop, i.e. there's nothing to set up.
Well, there's something at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Go ... henticator but Google authenticator sounds rather like having to provide Google with a reachable mobile phone number to me, so I'm myself not going to experiment with any of it...

Return to “Beginner Questions”