How to start coding for the Mint community

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibrahimukherjee

How to start coding for the Mint community

Post by ibrahimukherjee »

Hi,

I am a avid fan of Linux Distros been playing around with Fedora, elementary OS etc.

I just downloaded Mint and I found out Mint code is written in Python.

I know a bit of Python and I would love to contribute.

How do I write code for the Linux Mint community?

I am especially interested in chatbots and maybe make a chatbot interface like Cortana or Siri etc for Mint...

Thanks...
gm10

Re: How to start coding for the Mint community

Post by gm10 »

ibrahimukherjee wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm I am especially interested in chatbots and maybe make a chatbot interface like Cortana or Siri etc for Mint...
I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want us to teach you how to code that? Or are you asking where you can contribute code you have written/will write (-> https://github.com/linuxmint)?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Learn how to code something that others might want to use first. "A bit of python" isn't going to get you all that far.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ibrahimukherjee

Post by ibrahimukherjee »

Hi,

I want to learn how to code so I can contribute to the Linux community.

I work as a Data Scientist and I use standard libaries like NLTK and Scikit Learn etc.

However, I haven't written code which can be used in a production system like linux mint. I want to do that.

How do I go about it *** I am happy to be treated like a total noob *** :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Ibrahim
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't think we can answer that for you. Some people like myself learn by doing, while others prefer to be taught (lectures, books, etc.). So find which way works for you and then start learning until you feel confident enough to be able to contribute.

However, writing something like "Siri" is anything but trivial, so proper project design is key here or you'll never get anywhere (also look at existing projects, see e.g. here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=280153&sid=2aafab0 ... 7c82e4750d).

Depending on the extent of your coding experience it may be best to start with smaller projects first.
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello ibrahimukherjee Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

ibrahimukherjee wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm Hi,

I am a avid fan of Linux Distros been playing around with Fedora, elementary OS etc.

I just downloaded Mint and I found out Mint code is written in Python.

I know a bit of Python and I would love to contribute.

How do I write code for the Linux Mint community?

I am especially interested in chatbots and maybe make a chatbot interface like Cortana or Siri etc for Mint...

Thanks...
Hi ibrahimukherjee,
Likewise Welcome to the forum.

Have a look here:

The world's leading software development platform · GitHub

https://github.com

"GitHub brings together the world's largest community of developers to discover, share, and build better software."
and
http://projects.linuxmint.com/

Artists gain notice through audition. Submit some unique code and let your skills be recognized.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”