Hello, I'm the new guy! :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KuJo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm the new guy! :)

Post by KuJo »

Hello together,

I would like to introduce myself.

My middle-class name is Kai and I live in the tranquil village of Hamm in NRW/Germany. Beside gaming I am also politically interested (e.g. also member of the Pirate Party).

With my now 44 years I have already experienced some gaming history. It all started with a Commodore Plus/4 in 1984, over the C64 in 1986 and afterwards until 1998 with several Amiga models. After a small break my first PC came in 2001, which mutated over many iterations to my today's box.

While I started with Windows 98 at the beginning, WinXP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 followed. In the meantime (so 2005/2006) I had also experimented with a dual boot with Linux (SuSE), but then let it go again. It was only during my late computer science studies (2009 to 2013) that I came into contact again with Linux and Ubuntu on my studio laptop, while Windows 7 was still running on my PC. My studies also led me to my current job as an ABAP developer.

Due to the intrusive way Microsoft wanted to cheer you on Windows 10, my already long grown idea to switch completely to Linux was so strongly promoted that I decided to take the step in January 2017. I started with Linux MInt 18.1 and ended up with Linux Mint 19 over 18.2 and 18.3 last month.

Since I was always (also) a gamer, I can also look back on a corresponding "career". While on the C64 and Amiga a lot was exchanged on the schoolyard, my PC beginnings led me more often to private LAN sessions. But the whole thing really started in 2002 with Battlefield 1942 and my first ADSL internet connection. Quickly the need for a clan was aroused, which led me to the -=senior=-clan at the beginning, from which nothing is left today. The websites that lead to a senior clan today are from another clan that discovered the name for itself at some point. By the way, the "Senior" referred to the fact that the members should have a minimum age of 25 years.

After I had taken my hat off the senior clan due to some differences, I founded a new clan at the beginning of 2004 after a short clanless phase: The "[BR]-Bewaffnete Rentner" (translated: weaponed pensioniers) (-> http://www.BE-WA-RE.de ). The clan still exists today. First and foremost the Battlefield titles were and are still played today. At our peak times we had over 80 active members and also played some Funwars. However, this has weakened in the last 4-5 years but always further. There are now maybe 15-25 active players, but they are spread over many different games, but still most of them are currently working on Battlefield 1. The now starting Battlefield V is also hotly anticipated by some.

Actually there is only played under Windows. Some of the members I could already be interested in Linux (various threads in the software forum). But nobody has changed or tried it there yet. I inform myself therefore primarily on http://www.gamingonlinux.com , http://www.phoronix.com,, http://www.holarse.de or http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk . In between I have also looked here, but only briefly browsed the topics that you can see directly on the start page publicly.

Well, today I registered myself here. I can't promise now to start all over the place now. However, I will certainly now and then to the one or other topic introduce myself.

Have a nice day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hello, I'm the new guy! :)

Post by Pierre »

Hi KuJo,

welcome to our forum
:D

there is a lot of windows refugees around these parts.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello KuJo Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi Kujo. Welcome.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Welcome KuJo,
You bring some good experience aboard so -- thumbs up.
Enjoy
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi KuJo,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Introduce Yourself”