[SOLVED] I am not a Minter but I would like to be

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveMcSu2

[SOLVED] I am not a Minter but I would like to be

Post by DaveMcSu2 »

Hello.

I dont use computers much. I prefer climbing things and making things that make noise. Somethimes though I have to use computers and when I do I prefer the experience to be smooth.
I have not Minted or even Linuxed before.
I had a laptop that worked ok until it got a terrible virus on it that slows it down massively, lost lots of my work, makes it shut down without warning, renders it unusable for hours at a time and displays unwanted random pictures when booting. It's called Windows10 and everybody should be aware of it. Seriously, you do not want it even near your computer.

I am hoping that I will get Mint and start to use it more and more as I get used to having a machine that works again. One day it would be nice to contribute here and help new Minters - although I have a long way to go before I am at that level!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I am not a Minter but I would like to be

Post by Pierre »

Hi Dave,
welcome to our forum
:D

there is a whole lot of Windows Refugees around these parts.

Do Have a Read of the LinuxMint Users Guide that comes with the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

DaveMcSu2 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:35 amI had a laptop that worked ok until it got a terrible virus on it that slows it down massively, lost lots of my work, makes it shut down without warning, renders it unusable for hours at a time and displays unwanted random pictures when booting. It's called Windows10 and everybody should be aware of it. Seriously, you do not want it even near your computer.
Lol yeah, that is very well described. A warm welcome the forum.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Dave Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

DaveMcSu2 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:35 am
I am hoping that I will get Mint and start to use it more and more as I get used to having a machine that works again. One day it would be nice to contribute here and help new Minters - although I have a long way to go before I am at that level!
I am hoping today is the day you will begin your journey
Enjoy your adventure and Welcome to the forums
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

That ugly virus and bit of spyware has infected many millions of computers worldwide. It's good to see you've managed to escape with your sanity intact. Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ud6

Re: [SOLVED] I am not a Minter but I would like to be

Post by ud6 »

Welcome Dave.. to be honest, in the past linux seemed to be something we had to fiddle with. Mint now is so user friendly, once you've accepted it operates slightly different from windows, it seems the obvious choice if you just want to get things done without fiddling around all the time. More time for climbing things.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”