Back to Mint for me too

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richf

Back to Mint for me too

Post by richf »

A few years ago I moved to Linux Mint from Windows. I struggled getting my NAS working right, permission problems while dual booting and a host of other issues that made trying to switch a bad time.

Two weeks ago I got the itch again. Started out installing Manjaro on an external 512gb USB-C SSD. Being the blunt person I am I think Manjaro is a better looking OS and, when it works, works great. However that did not make overcoming the multitude of issues any easier. With each reboot I was in for a surprise. Video issues, boot errors, locked up OS causing hard shutdowns which made things worse... the list goes on.

4 days ago I killed all my hard work in Manjaro and installed Mint. 4 days later I have a solid OS.

-Windows 7/Photoshop (I cannot get used to GIMP as much as I try) running in VirtualBox with access to my needed Linux folders and USB drives,
-Cairo Dock looks/Works awesome
-Remmina to access my 10Tb media server
-I'm learning KDEnlive and starting to like it

And quite honestly am loving the whole "Get it working the way you want & need" thing.

I intend on forcing myself to try at GIMP a bit more but after using Photoshop for 20+ years, it's a rough change.

Give me a few weeks to be sure this is where I'm staying and I'll donate some funds to the cause.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Back to Mint for me too

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome back. From my reading, Gimp, seems to have all that Photoshop can do, Like any "new" thing, it all boils down to a)Can it do something? and b)How to I make it do it?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello richf Image

Welcome back to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I feel for you! I had been using Photoshop Elements for years and find Gimp not very intuitive.

I use Pinta for the smaller, less intricate jobs and muddle through using Gimp for the rest.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

welcome back
8)

sure - the Linux experience is not always an good experience & it can easily put folks off the World of Linux,
& they then do run back to the familiar World of Windows - - it happens.

- - also trying to learn a bit more about Gimp .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hystory repeats itself
We learn
Welcome back
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
richf

Post by richf »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:25 pm Welcome back. From my reading, Gimp, seems to have all that Photoshop can do, Like any "new" thing, it all boils down to a)Can it do something? and b)How to I make it do it?
Yes it does do just about everything PS does (at least for my needs) but the interface works completely different. Something as simple as cutting and pasting to a new layer was infuriating to figure out. I'll be hacking away at it more though.
JerryF wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 pm I feel for you! I had been using Photoshop Elements for years and find Gimp not very intuitive.

I use Pinta for the smaller, less intricate jobs and muddle through using Gimp for the rest.
Running on an i7 with 32gbs of ram and an SSD. Booting Windows 7 in Vbox AND loading CS6 literally takes 17 seconds. This has removed some of my drive to learn GIMP. :/
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Likewise on gimp, I run photoshop 7 under crossover, previously I ran it under wine and it runs without problems.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

im a returner aswell, after a long time on a Solus install on mainlaptop.
After a restart it never came to life, no matter what, but i feel at home...Cinnamon for me :)
richf

Post by richf »

I am LOVING this!

4 Desktops...
1-Browsers, KDEnlive
2-Virtual Box/Win7/Photoshop/Other apps with R/W access to 3 of my necessary Linux folders
3-Remmina connected to my Windows NAS server
4-System Monitor, Notes, Misc. apps

Still have 16gbs of my 32gbs of ram free, CPU sitting at 32% & 51 degrees even with Kaspersky doing a full scan and GoogleSync downloading in Win7
This thing is LIGHTNING fast switching from Desktop to Desktop. I have CairoDock running with the Switcher applet and a simple scrollwheel flicks me from desktop to desktop.

It's been rock solid for 3 days straight.

I do miss Compiz though. I know it's only eye-candy but it's so cool to play with.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

welcome...also this might help you get the look, feel, and action of photoshop using gimp on linux.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/make-gim ... photoshop/
richf

Post by richf »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:33 am welcome...also this might help you get the look, feel, and action of photoshop using gimp on linux.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/make-gim ... photoshop/
Already tried this several days ago.

This does not work for 2.10 regardless of what the article says. 2.10 has changed the entire structure it uses for loading the tools.

I did get the keyboard shortcuts working but part of the problem remains that Gimp does several important things totally different. Simply using the Marquee, copy and paste has been infuriating as I have not yet figured out why Gimp insists on creating a special type of layer that does not move just my pasted element. Only time and research will solve these interface issues.

What confuses me is that this has been an issue since WAY back when... if the Gimp team wants to convert more people to Gimp, they should know by now that a similar interface to PS would be a huge boon not only to Gimp but to the entire Linux world. They could easily create a theme that make it work and look like PS to go along with the install. I doubt Adobe has any kind of copyright on the appearance of tools.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”