It's a bird ! It's a plane !

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SuperBoby

It's a bird ! It's a plane !

Post by SuperBoby »

No, it's.. it's... SUPERBOBY !

Hi everyone !

I am a fresh new Linux Mint user from France. I've been a Linux user for almost 10 years now since high school, and have always overlooked Linux Mint due to its Ubuntu base. I've never been a big fan of Ubuntu overall, even if it is a perfectly good distribution. It just doesn't suit me. Following high school I have not taken the professional IT path, but rather sound engineering studies. But now after a years' break I am coming back on Linux to join these two passions :)

For my "comeback" I have first installed Debian 9 on my Thinkpad T410. I am impressed about the new features that I suddenly learned about, especially systemd. Then I looked for a suitable desktop environment and tried a few things, not being really convinced. Then I came across Cinnamon, which led me to Linux Mint, which led me to discover... A Debian-based Linux Mint ?! It was installed on my 2nd partition overnight, and I must say loud and clear :

Great work, guys.

Seriously. I feel like every feature that I like from Windows, macOS and GNU/Linux are one in a single OS. Bravo ! This is awesome ! This unlocks a lot of perspective for the future for me.

See you soon !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: It's a bird ! It's a plane !

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

LM is Debian based via way of Canonicals Ubuntu...dont want to burst your bubble but Ubuntu IS derived from Debian and LM IS derived from Ubuntu...the Cinnamon desktop is the "flagship" edition of LM...all those features that you like are due in no small part to the Cinnamon desktop package...enjoy and dont be afraid to ask questions on the forum if you should run into any difficulties and welcome...DAMIEN
SuperBoby

Post by SuperBoby »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 pm LM is Debian based via way of Canonicals Ubuntu...dont want to burst your bubble but Ubuntu IS derived from Debian and LM IS derived from Ubuntu...
Yes, I know, but I don't like the Ubuntu layer ; I prefer relying directly on Debian :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You will get on well here: an engineer, likes Thinkpads, doesn't like ubuntu, likes mint. Welcome :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello SuperBoby Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi SuperBoby,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
SuperBoby

Post by SuperBoby »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:10 pm You will get on well here: an engineer, likes Thinkpads, doesn't like ubuntu, likes mint. Welcome :)
I see that I am a pretty weak Thinkpad player :mrgreen: I "only" have a T410 and an X61.
But I'll catch up ! I'm currently looking for a new one : I'd like a tablet version (X201, X220 or X230), if anyone from or around France reads this...

Anyway, thanks for your warm welcomes.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'd like a tablet version (X201, X220 or X230)
Try ebay and amazon, that's where I got some of mine from. You'll find a lot of thinkpad users on the forum. Mint usually installs 'out of the box' on thinkpads.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Another welcome from here! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
SuperBoby

Post by SuperBoby »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am
I'd like a tablet version (X201, X220 or X230)
Try ebay and amazon, that's where I got some of mine from. You'll find a lot of thinkpad users on the forum. Mint usually installs 'out of the box' on thinkpads.
I can confirm : I found a secondhand X220t in excellent condition just yesterday night, so now I am the proud owner of 3 LMDE Thinkpads :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”