New to Linux, Help a Lady Out? (solved)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Falling_Stars

Re: New to Linux, Help a Lady Out?

Post by Falling_Stars »

phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:37 pm Hi Falling_Stars,

Linux Mint uses sha256 checksum.

Cygwin User's Guide
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net.html

How to Verify MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 Checksum in Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/verify-m ... windows10/

How to Verify a Linux ISO’s Checksum and Confirm It Hasn’t Been Tampered With
* see section on "How to Verify a Checksum On Windows"
https://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to ... ered-with/

Hope this helps ...
This is all above my head, can you please help me out?
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Falling_Stars wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 pm
phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:37 pm Hi Falling_Stars,

Linux Mint uses sha256 checksum.

Cygwin User's Guide
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net.html

How to Verify MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 Checksum in Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/verify-m ... windows10/

How to Verify a Linux ISO’s Checksum and Confirm It Hasn’t Been Tampered With
* see section on "How to Verify a Checksum On Windows"
https://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to ... ered-with/

Hope this helps ...
This is all above my head, can you please help me out?
in a nutshell they're just hashfiles. that should be listed on the page you download your iso from. there are any number of programs for windows to check hashfiles. you really only need to verify one of those file to verify that the iso is completely intact and what you intended to download.
Falling_Stars

Post by Falling_Stars »

I understand that. I just don't know HOW to verify the hash file. I followed the directions about creating a new folder, placing the iso file in there with twi txt files from this page: https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

Now, I actually have to do the procedure to verify the hash. I went to the windows command line, and did this: CertUtil -hashfile linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso SHA256

and it says it can't find the file
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Falling_Stars,

What version of MS Windows are you using? Have you used the MS Windows file manager to right-click the Linux Mint .iso file to see if there is already an available option to verify, checksum, hash check a file option?

You have to run that command from the same folder (directory) as the Linux Mint iso file or specify the exact path to the file.
something like below:
CertUtil -hashfile \Downloads\linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso SHA256
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Falling_Stars

Post by Falling_Stars »

phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm Hi Falling_Stars,

What version of MS Windows are you using? Have you used the MS Windows file manager to right-click the Linux Mint .iso file to see if there is already an available option to verify, checksum, hash check a file option?

You have to run that command from the same folder (directory) as the Linux Mint iso file or specify the exact path to the file.
something like below:
CertUtil -hashfile \Downloads\linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit-v2.iso SHA256
Good news! Checksum verified using Hashcheck Install. Fast, easy, done! Checksums match, so I ran the Linux Mint 19 System from the disc I burned, and oh wow!! Absolutely beautiful!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Falling_Stars,

That is good news...

You are welcome from all of that replied to both your posts...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: New to Linux, Help a Lady Out? (solved)

Post by lsemmens »

Hi falling stars. Linux IS very easy to instal and use. You don't have to worry too much about partitions and checksums. They are useful tools, but for the average user they are not too critical and probably won't rear their ugly head. Once you've managed to download linux and created your USB stick or DVD. Re-boot your machine using that "Live" medium into a live Linux session. from there all you need do is click on the "Install Linux" icon. It will ask you a few questions along the way, the moist important being do you want to install alongside Windows or use the full disk for Linux. It will handle the partitions and stuff all for you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

hey falling stars it's not as easy as some claim, but this day and age it's worth it. yes linux has come a very long ways and it truly is ready for prime time, but like with any new operating system you're running for the first time there is a learning curve, a learning curver that is worth it because the stability of linux over other systems like windows. soft sells like some like to do don't help anyone. all i say is enjoy your install and do plenty of research when you do run into an issue.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Falling_Stars! Most people find Linux quite easy to use. Installing and or updating software is a bit different on Linux, I would say not just different but better. The local library has a couple dozen public access computers, all of which run Linux. I often poke my head into the computer room when I'm at the library, and I never see people struggling to use the computers. I once asked at the front desk if people had troubles using the computers, and they looked at me like I was from Mars or something. For most people, it's just click on the Menu button, find the application you want to run, click it, and away you go. But, there are certainly things that are different, and if you have troubles with anything, that's what these forums are here for!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Falling_Stars wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 pm Good news! Checksum verified using Hashcheck Install. Fast, easy, done! Checksums match, so I ran the Linux Mint 19 System from the disc I burned, and oh wow!! Absolutely beautiful!
And .... It's been three or four days. How's it going? Did you get it installed? Did you encounter any problems? Got any questions?

Inquiring minds want to know! :) :D
Falling_Stars

Post by Falling_Stars »

It went fine, but I seem to have the dreaded SWAP issue

see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=274157

Return to “Introduce Yourself”