Hello from a Windows and Linux fan

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
svs

Hello from a Windows and Linux fan

Post by svs »

Hello, my friends. It does not matter who I am. I have been using Windows since 2005, but Linux Mint for few days. I want to learn more about this Linux Mint. I do not know anything at all. I do not know how to work with Linux Mint at all. I work with Windows, but I want to use Linux Mint too. I don`t know even what kind of Linux Mint I have, I have frozen desktop very often too, my video drivers are not working well, because I see something like lines, if I move some pages up and down, I only installed Mint from a DVD+R... I want your help, friends. It is nice to be here. Sorry for my English, but it is not my native language.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hello from a Windows and Linux fan

Post by all41 »

Nevertheless you are welome to this forum. Good that you are auditioning Mint.
Hope you enjoy as many do.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi svs,

welcome to our forum
:)

there is lots of folks around here, who do use both types of operating systems,
and even some who are fleeing the use of that windows system.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, svs! You can find out which version of Mint you are using by opening a terminal, and entering inxi -S. There are several ways to open a terminal, but probably the easiest is if you look at the toolbar (panel) at the bottom of the screen, you will see an icon that is just a black square, with >_ in it. (Or at least that's what I have on my system.) Click it, and a terminal will open, then you can type in the command above and press Enter. If you don't see terminal that way, it's usually in the Menu somewhere also, like Accessories or Administration. Before we try to solve any of the problems you are having, it would be best to know which Mint version you are using. Only versions 17.x, 18.x, and 19.x are currently supported. Anything else is considered obsolete. If you've got some thing older than that, first step should be to replace it with a newer version.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi svs,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello svs Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

Welcome, sws, from a fellow 'newbie' on the forum. I hope your problems with running Mint will get sorted - just ask in the appropriate forum. I've been running Mint Mate edition and LMDE in Windows' Hyper-V VMs for a few weeks now, although I've been an intermittent Linux user for more than 20 years. (It's now come to a point where it's going to be a permanent Windows + Linux situation - unfortunately, I need Windows for certain apps.) So far, I haven't had any problems at all with Mint. (Nor with Fedora, which I have in another VM for somewhat longer.) But that may well be due to running in a VM.

What I don't understand is, why you should find it so difficult to use. Just about all Linux distros are dead easy to use nowadays, certainly for any Windows user as the desktops follow such similar lines. Anyway, just persist, stick with it, ask questions if necessary, and enjoy! :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Welcome to the forum....

from another guy just like you.

I highly suggest that you take your first steps with Linux Mint on 18.3 Cinnamon.

You will be able to install it immediately, and be able to use it immediately, because it emulates Windows desktop very close.

this let's you get going, and read the forum, and start taking baby steps with deeper details of how it works.

Later, when you get comfy, try a Live version of the other Desktop versions.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello svs,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, Where you can learn a lot about Linux and Mint. You'll learn fast as you go. enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi sys, Jimallyn is correct in asking you to post a copy of that command. THink of Terminal as a DOS window and the command as a DOS command. The same commands should work for cut and paste as in Windows.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

svs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:51 pm Hello, my friends. It does not matter who I am. I have been using Windows since 2005, but Linux Mint for few days. I want to learn more about this Linux Mint. I do not know anything at all. I do not know how to work with Linux Mint at all.
Hello and welcome! You'll learn a lot, pretty soon, I promise. Mint is not hard to use.

As for who you are, to us you are svs and that's enough! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

svs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:51 pm Hello, my friends. It does not matter who I am. I have been using Windows since 2005, but Linux Mint for few days. I want to learn more about this Linux Mint. I do not know anything at all. I do not know how to work with Linux Mint at all. I work with Windows, but I want to use Linux Mint too. I don`t know even what kind of Linux Mint I have, I have frozen desktop very often too, my video drivers are not working well, because I see something like lines, if I move some pages up and down, I only installed Mint from a DVD+R... I want your help, friends. It is nice to be here. Sorry for my English, but it is not my native language.
It DOES matter who you are. :D Welcome!

Do you mean that you're running Mint directly from the DVD?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

well, harrumph!

we need your full name and address,
social security number,
your bank account routing and checking account numbers :lol: :lol:

svs is just fine, not to worry...

enjoy Mint
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Funny one, AZgl1500! :lol:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”