Hello Minties

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HowboutAudio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Minties

Post by HowboutAudio »

Hi!

Before I start spamming the boards with questions about Linux I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Koos. I'm in my thirties and from the Netherlands. I'm a classical guitar player and teacher and I am curious about programming and tech in general and would like to start studying Data Science sometime in the future.

Since a lot of programming is apparently done on a Mac or Linux I thought I'd give this Linux thing a go again. The last time I tried Linux it was horrible. None of my devices were recognised. Spent hours installing different drivers and even thought about buying a new printer. At the end of a frustrating week I bought a Mac (and of course a new printer...). I was very happy making that switch from Windows but ultimately, my anti-corporate mentality drove me to Open Source software.

Nowadays I use a lot of software that runs fine on Linux or is even written specifically for that OS. Audacity and Tuxguitar are my main workhorses as well as MuseScore. Of course I have to use Spotify and Youtube is inexcapable.

I have been researching different distributions booting from a USB device. Mint is the current one, Ubuntu the previous one. I did enjoy the Ubuntu desktop environment but a youtuber pointed me towards this distribution. Both have issues with my soundcard. My external one was immediately recognised which is great cause I work with that one. But I would really enjoy using the built in speakers.

Thanks for reading! I'm off posting a desperate cry for help.

Happy Holidays!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Hello Minties

Post by Moem »

Hello Koos! Welcome from a fellow cloggie! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Koos Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi HowboutAudio,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Koos and welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

Enjoy this fine Distro.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce Yourself”