Greetings from New Zealand!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Greetings from New Zealand!

Post by murray »

I thought I better check in here, even though I've already posted a few messages on this forum.

I live in New Zealand and am a new convert to LM and Linux in general. I come from a programming background but these days I mostly just build websites. I had a brief introduction to Unix back in the late 80's but since then nothing much.

I had a 10 year old Windows XP machine at home that was my main desktop machine but it was way past it (running really slow and of course not receiving updates from Microsoft any more) so I decided to get a new computer and make a break from Microsoft and give Linux a spin. I ended up buying a NUC8i5BEH (I really like the small form factor of the NUCs) and popped in 16GB of RAM and a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB SSD. Making the Live USB drive and booting it up was easy enough, although I did run into some problems trying to do a "Something else" partition scheme (probably due to my lack of GParted knowledge, I don't think I got the EFI partition set up properly because the machine reported no OS found when I rebooted). In the end I went back and did an automatic install and then repartitioned it how I wanted.

I've now installed a lot of the software that I want to use (Apache, MariaDB, PHP, Visual Studio Code, Teamviewer, various utility programs, etc). If I get some time I'd like to have a play with the Lua scripting language and Gambas as they both look quite interesting. I'd also like to try out some of the retro computer/game console emulators just to bring back a few old memories. :D

You'll probably see me asking silly questions on this forum as I get to grips with Linux, and when I see an opportunity to help others I'll do so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Greetings from New Zealand!

Post by kyphi »

Welcome murray from just across the ditch.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello murray Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi murray,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Thanks guys, it's so nice that you're a friendly bunch. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months before finally making the jump to LM and I must admit that I'm very impressed with how helpful the community here is. Keep up the great work!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi Murray, how's Eastern Sydney? ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:19 am Hi Murray, how's Eastern Sydney? ;)
Ha ha! :lol:

Even with our current heatwave it's still cooler than Oz!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”