New here, New to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CMD-Ky

New here, New to Linux

Post by CMD-Ky »

I am in Kentucky, USA. As the title says, I am new. I have a dual boot Windows 7/Mint installation on Dell E6430. It seems that Mint had proper working drivers for everything. I lucked out I guess. With your help, I am looking forward to learning this new to me operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: New here, New to Linux

Post by WharfRat »

Hello CMD-Ky Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Hi cmd and welcome to a great forum! Lots of help here :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi CMD-Ky ,
welcome to our forum.
:D

Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cyber_Ghost78

Post by Cyber_Ghost78 »

Hi welcome to the Linux Mint forum! Hope you enjoy your journey into the world of Linux Mint!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi CMD-Ky,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!

My advice is to think of it as learning to drive. You turn the key, put it in drive, and go. After doing that for some time, then you might want to learn what's under the hood.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

CMD-Ky wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 amI have a dual boot Windows 7/Mint installation on Dell E6430. It seems that Mint had proper working drivers for everything. I lucked out I guess.
I have a Dell E6400 laptop that was my first Mint install, 17.3 Cinnamon. I have upgraded to Mint 19 through various steps of version 18 and never once have I had a problem. Everything just worked. Even the networking. I don't dual boot because there's really no need. I have a Windows computer that has Mint 19.0 Mate but I rarely boot into Mint on it. I did have a networking problem with a homebuilt computer and an Atheros wireless card. I disabled IPv6 and it has been working flawlessly. And to be honest, I've had similar issues with Windows that took a little time and effort to resolve. So it's nothing new.

Mint is AWESOME!
Greencedar

Post by Greencedar »

Welcome to Linux Mint! :)
CMD-Ky

Post by CMD-Ky »

I am trying to find a good manual which includes most of the frequently used terminal commands. Way back when, in DOS, I had such a book and it was most helpful. Any suggestion?
JerryF wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm Welcome to the forums!

My advice is to think of it as learning to drive. You turn the key, put it in drive, and go. After doing that for some time, then you might want to learn what's under the hood.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

CMD-Ky wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 am I am trying to find a good manual which includes most of the frequently used terminal commands. Way back when, in DOS, I had such a book and it was most helpful. Any suggestion?
JerryF wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm Welcome to the forums!
Sorry, I don't know of one. :(
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi CMD-ky have a look at the FAQ at the top of the "Board Index" page right next to Quick Links, It might give you some idea. Also if you want to know more about a particular command, you can type man (cmd name) in a terminal and it will throw up a manual page about the command.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce Yourself”