Threw it all away yesterday for Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Castle-Nut

Threw it all away yesterday for Mint

Post by Castle-Nut »

41 year vet of "windows and apple"

I spent the previous year, getting more and more frustrated with Micro-suck and Rotten-Apple. Over the years I have tried Linux distro, (but that was about 20+ years ago). The last Linux I used, if memory serves was 'Mandrake 7.1' around the time of 'Windows XP' similar setup screen then. and around 2007 I went back to school to brush up on some classes and got an introductory course in Fedora 7 'Moonshine' during a class on Virtual Machines, when VM-Ware was the only company producing VM software.

Last Month, Got onto my Windows machine and downloaded every Linux Distro known to man (currently) I burned them all to disk. and spent another month installing and playing around with the systems.

During the last week, I think I crash Mint about 30-40 times, with configurations and deleting and giving myself a crash course in "the do's and dont's" and seeing just how far I could go with messing it up. Played around with installing and learning what codes NOT to us.. Once I decided that I got most of the configuration do's and dont's down with..

I finally decided to go with MINT, simply for the reason of it worked best on this current machine (which is now a Linux Mint ONLY machine)

so war my overall Linux experience (out of the digital box) has marvelled any windows and apple experience of 41 years (then again also thinking of old memoires of Linux from 20 years ago) "was not such a good Linux experience then"

Now that I am on Linux and found most of the programs I plan on using (minus 1)

Trying to find a replacement for "Dragon naturally Speaking", that's still in production for Linux
I really only need it for voice to text. I don't need all the bells and whistles..

Other than that, so far This is my first week on MINT and I can't complain. Just installed Glade, and Mono and looking forward to getting into some of these new tools and learning something new for a change.

All that's left is to make some new VM's and I am off and running.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Threw it all away yesterday for Mint

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Castle-Nut Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome Castle nut. Can't help with Dragon, but have fun trying. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi Castle-Nut,

You did a lot of research before choosing Mint--great.

Those experiences will prove to be beneficial--no doubt.
Welcome to Mint and the forums
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

This article any use for the voice to text issue??

https://www.lifewire.com/state-of-linux ... on-2204883
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi Castle-Nut,
welcome to our forum.
:D

the VirtualBox program from Oracle:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
can be used to Test out any other Operating System - virtually.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cyber_Ghost78

Post by Cyber_Ghost78 »

Hi welcome to the Linux Mint forum! Hope you enjoy your journey into the world of Linux Mint!
Castle-Nut

Post by Castle-Nut »

Thank You everyone for the welcome and the links.

week 1 and already I like not being able to use 90% of windows programs, I played around with the software this week, some getting used to on the video editor's but the rest I am already familar with, since most of them were available on windows as well.

Anyone have a decent IDE editor. so many choices. I am used to c# mostly and some LUA, but I am willing to learn something new, if need be.

41 years of microsuck and I thought it was going to be as bad as stop smoking cold turkey.. hahaha I don't even miss any of it any-more.. haha the irony in that.. funny as hell to me. just shows how tired I was really getting of it. :lol:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Good luck and have fun! :)

To tilt you over without aggravation, it's perhaps handy to create a VM with a free and legal Windows, just in case:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Welcome to Linux Mint Castle-Nut!
Greencedar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome, Castle-Nut!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jleach

Post by jleach »

I just did the same - week 3 on Linux after having used Windows for however many years. Very refreshing (although, I work in the .NET stack, so I do run VMWare, but my daily driver is now Mint and I'm very pleased with it).

For IDEs, VS Code is actually great, despite being an MS product (and seems to run just fine in Linux, having been using it for three weeks now, and no reason it shouldn't, having been written in Electron). I use it for most of my non-C# dev stuff, but for core .NET development I still use traditional VS out of a virtual machine.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”