New Beginning

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Lariat5816
Level 1
Level 1

New Beginning

Post by Lariat5816 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello, Forum. I am a Windows user who has begun to find Microsoft a little tiresome. I have done some reading, and I have looked at Knoppix, Ubuntu and Mint, and I would like to commit to Mint. I have a background as a mainframe programmer/analyst, and though I am now retired and rusted over, I feel up to the challenge of beginning a new life with Linux. I would like to buy a small computer and dedicate it to learning Mint. I have three immediate questions. First, what is the smallest size computer I get away with? Second, is it rational to think of downloading Mint to a flash drive on my Windows desktop and then porting it to the new computer? And third, what is it necessary to do to initialize the new computer – to erase whatever is on it and prepare it for Mint?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New Beginning

Post by Moem » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello! The installation guide will answer many of your questions: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Lariat5816,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 am

Hi Lariat5816,

No stress, you'll find Mint a breath of fresh air after windwoes.
Moem has indicated the appropriate resource for a newbie. As to hardware, None of my machinery is less than 10 years old and all runs Mint without any problems. Most are running Cinnamon though one of my smaller machines is running XFCE. RAM is 2Gb up. (I have 6 machines all working) My most powerful is an HP ProBook-470-G2 with 8Gb RAM and 128Gb SSD. The least powerful is a P4 with 2Gb RAM and conventional HDD.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:49 am

Have a look at a second-hand thinkpad - cheap, reliable and plays with linux well.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:12 am

Hi Lariat5816,
welcome to our forum
:D

now is the Time to Refresh an old machine, that is still running the Microsoft win-7 version,
on it's drive, as these machines will re-purpose over to LinuxMint quite well.
8)

you should be able to buy one of these machines - fairly cheaply,
& then use that system to obtain a working copy of the LinuxMint System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:29 am

Hello Lariat5816 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

easyt50
Level 1
Level 1

Post by easyt50 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Lariat5816,

Hello and welcome from one rusty mainframe to another. I started to switch about the same time as you. Back in March.
I now have Mint Cinnamon 18.3 running on my laptop (dual boot) and Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on my desktop. There was a leaning curve,
but not too bad. It is also very helpful to have these excellent forums to search / ask for help.
So 'New Beginning', give an update to making your switch if you don't mind. And of course, if you need help please ask.

Howard

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

Hi "Lariat5816",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your current system's setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Lariat5816 wrote:First, what is the smallest size computer I get away with?
Any computer of any size that has at least the minimum requirements to run whichever edition and version of Linux Mint that you want to try and or use. The minimum requirements specifications are on the Linux Mint downloads webpage in the "release notes" and or the documentation (manual). Intel or AMD CPU (processor).

The mini Mintbox computers are fairly fast, very small, packed with features, and use very little power. There are a few different manufacturers of mini-computers like "Intel NUC" and my Dell Optiplex ultra-small form factor (usff), etc... There are also even smaller HDMI or USB stick computers (Stick PC) that people have been able to get Linux Mint working on like the Intel Compute Stick. FYI Note: One downside of using very small computers is that lack of expandability, like no expansion slots or only one or two special expansion slots, maybe no ability to upgrade other components, etc... On the plus side, they are very portable, use very little power and would be great in a power outage situation when running from a battery backup (UPS), ice, etc... I would really like to have a MintBox 2 and I would recommend a computer like the MintBox 2 over the stick computers.

Download - Linux Mint
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Store - MintBox - Linux Mint
https://www.linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php

MintBox 2
https://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/mintbox-2/

Intel® Compute Stick
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... stick.html

The Best Stick PCs You Can Buy in 2019 | Digital Trends
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-stick-pcs/
Lariat5816 wrote:Second, is it rational to think of downloading Mint to a flash drive on my Windows desktop and then porting it to the new computer?
If you only have an MS Windows or Mac computer, then to create (burn) a bootable DVD or USB stick of the Linux Mint live "test-drive" installation version would require using that computer's operating system. Fortunately, there are various software applications in MS Windows and Mac for burning (creating) a bootable DVD or USB stick of the Linux Mint ".iso" disk image file, "unetbootin" is a USB stick application that works on MS Windows, Mac, Linux, and "rufus" is a popular MS Windows application for creating USB sticks.
Lariat5816 wrote:And third, what is it necessary to do to initialize the new computer – to erase whatever is on it and prepare it for Mint?
The answer to your question would require more detailed information, like are you going to replace the existing computer's operating system with Linux Mint, install it alongside (dual-boot) the existing operating system, etc... Again, you can read the Linux Mint documentation and release notes to see more information. It only takes about 16 minutes or less to install Linux Mint usually.

If you are going to replace the existing computer's operating system, after starting the Linux Mint installation from the bootable DVD or USB stick, select use entire drive (erase) which is usually the first option.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum and the best Linux Distro....Mint.Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”