Hello, new here.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Crippled

Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Sat May 25, 2019 2:30 am

I am new here using Linux mint but not new to Linux. I switched from Windows to using Linux 100% of the time back in September 2015. I have used a few distros in the past with mixed experiences. I have switched to Linux mint because while the distro I was using is excellent, the support for that distro has taken a nose dive. Please don't ask which distros I have used because it always starts trouble. I am command line illiterate. I could never learn to understand the command line all the way back to 1982 which is why I never got into using Desktop computer until the year 2000. I am a copy and paste Terminal user. I am a G.U.I. guy. AKA, :wink: Crippled.

User avatar
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2627
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 am
Location: The Hunter Valley, Australia

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by kyphi » Sat May 25, 2019 3:58 am

Welcome to the Linux Mint community.

I think it a pity that you dismiss the command line as being too hard to understand. Whatever happens on any computer is governed by a command line coated with a veneer called a GUI (graphical user Interface). All computer operating systems are subject to it.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

User avatar
Chasney
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Chasney » Sat May 25, 2019 4:41 am

Welcome to Linux Mint :)

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13374
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by WharfRat » Sat May 25, 2019 8:31 am

Hello Crippled Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Inundated
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:49 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Inundated » Sat May 25, 2019 8:56 am

The "can live with it" part of using the command line is that it allows others here to help fix your computer, easily.

Just copy-paste the commands in the forum post in question, and you really don't have to understand the underlying syntax. And you'll learn a lot along the way!
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF (replacing Dell Dimension 8400) - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
LAPTOP: Lenova ThinkPad L412 - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon with Windows 7 dual boot

User avatar
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9179
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Pierre » Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 am

Hi Crippled,,
welcome to our forum
:)

Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 am

kyphi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:58 am
Welcome to the Linux Mint community.

I think it a pity that you dismiss the command line as being too hard to understand. Whatever happens on any computer is governed by a command line coated with a veneer called a GUI (graphical user Interface). All computer operating systems are subject to it.
I understand that about the command line being the base and the G.U.I. runs on top of it, but I could never learn the command line language. For me the command line is a 'syntax error" which I recall so very well at my first attempt of using it back in 1982. No matter how much I try I can't never make any sense of the command line. That's why I like using G.U.I. operating systems distros.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9553
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Moem » Sat May 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Crippled wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 am
I could never learn the command line language.
The nice thing about Mint is that you don't have to. If you can learn how to copy and paste commands, that helpers here on the forum give you, into the terminal... and then copy and paste the output into a forum message to show it to those helpers, then you know all that is needed.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2594
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by lsemmens » Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 am

Hi crippled. Welcome to MINT.

The command line is not much different to telling us about your problems.

You type a "command" and it is executed, or not! Just like forums. You ask a question, and you get a reply, OR NOT! As the case may be.

My point, a command line is an EXACT way of doing things. With a GCI you may "think" that you are doing "A", when, in facr, it is doing "B".
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 am
Hi crippled. Welcome to MINT.

The command line is not much different to telling us about your problems.

You type a "command" and it is executed, or not! Just like forums. You ask a question, and you get a reply, OR NOT! As the case may be.

My point, a command line is an EXACT way of doing things. With a GCI you may "think" that you are doing "A", when, in facr, it is doing "B".
:? What's a GCI?

User avatar
MrEen
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5556
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by MrEen » Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm

I believe GUI was meant. I think the keyboards Down Under have the C right next to the U just to keep them on their toes. :mrgreen:

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Sun May 26, 2019 10:40 pm

MrEen wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm
I believe GUI was meant. I think the keyboards Down Under have the C right next to the U just to keep them on their toes. :mrgreen:
LMAO :lol: Makes sense. Perhaps the command line interface and the graphical user interface is upside down down under. :wink:

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2594
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by lsemmens » Mon May 27, 2019 2:37 am

Absolutely. I meant GUI - CGI is actually Computer Generated Imagery - Which is, sort of, GUI. I'm brain damaged, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2627
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 am
Location: The Hunter Valley, Australia

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by kyphi » Mon May 27, 2019 2:40 am

We might be down under but, like you folks in the northern hemisphere, we are the right way up.

It is worthwhile to become familiar with the command line because it is the basis of all that happens in any computer operating system; not compulsory, of course, but worth knowing at least the rudiments.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 pm

kyphi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:40 am
We might be down under but, like you folks in the northern hemisphere, we are the right way up.

It is worthwhile to become familiar with the command line because it is the basis of all that happens in any computer operating system; not compulsory, of course, but worth knowing at least the rudiments.
I know what the command line is and what it's for because since switching from Windows to Linux it has been thrown at me well over a million times and I hear the same story like a broken record. I haven't been able to learn the command line since 1982 and there is no possibility that I will learn it in 2019 or ever. :? When I see the command line I see gibberish. Thankfully there is the G.U.I. which I can understand. :) My knowledge is in other areas. This gentleman in this video gets it but the vast mojarity of the Linux community will never understand, just like I will never understand the command line language. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKY40fRXKZs

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2594
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by lsemmens » Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 am

You learned how to read and write in English. When you don't know a word, you look it up, if you need a synonym (or antonym) you use a Thesaurus. How is English (or any other language for that fact) any different to the command line? You issue a command and the computer executes it. The only real difficulty comes is that the computer cannot "interpret" an incorrect command.

The command line is just a precise method of achieving a result. It's easier to say type "this command" than it is to describe which window to open, then which button to press and then find the.................... you get the idea.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 am

lsemmens wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 am
You learned how to read and write in English. When you don't know a word, you look it up, if you need a synonym (or antonym) you use a Thesaurus. How is English (or any other language for that fact) any different to the command line? You issue a command and the computer executes it. The only real difficulty comes is that the computer cannot "interpret" an incorrect command.

The command line is just a precise method of achieving a result. It's easier to say type "this command" than it is to describe which window to open, then which button to press and then find the.................... you get the idea.
The command line is gibberish! English is not gibberish which is why I could learn English. Why can't you learn some manners that some people don't like the command line? It's rude and and extremely annoying of this constant harassment of throwing the command line at people! :evil: Watch this and learn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKY40fRXKZs

Crippled

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Crippled » Tue May 28, 2019 1:21 am

From now on anyone that harasses me about the command line is getting reported and I will block them. :evil:

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9553
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by Moem » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 am

You're being pretty militant about this and I don't think that attitude will serve you well. :roll:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

iain_33
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:29 am
Location: UK

Re: Hello, new here.

Post by iain_33 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:21 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm still quite new and only understand terminal basics, but the good thing about this forum is, although you'll most likely need to use the terminal, you don't need to understand it. Copy and paste the command someone here gives you, then copy and paste the "gibberish" it spits out back here. Then someone else will understand it, give you more "gibberish" that you copy & paste in your terminal, and with a bit of luck, problem solved :D
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE (64 bit) on a HP G70 laptop (circa 2008)
Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 @ 2.16GHz -- 3GB RAM -- 1TB HDD
Intel Mobile 4 Series graphics -- Intel 82801I audio
Atheros AR242x/AR542x wireless network adapter

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce yourself”