Hoping to Change to Linux Mint!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
SkyBlue
Level 1
Level 1

Hoping to Change to Linux Mint!

Post by SkyBlue » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 pm

Hello Everyone, Greetings from NW Arkansas from a lady of 72 wishing to change from Windows 7 to Linux Mint. i need a magic wand! :D I use my desktop computer daily for emailing, researching, and managing 2 websites. Windows and others remind me that Windows 7 is not supported anymore and so some things might not work well. True. Windows advises me to update with a new desktop and Windows 10. Having read so many good testimonies about Linux, I'd really like to try it. I will most likely need to find someone in my area who can get me safely set up, as I would hate to mess up my computer after all these years. If you know anyone in Northwest Arkansas that is able to help me, point and show, or just do it (ha) while I watch, that would be terrific. Am willing to pay for such a service. Thanks very much!

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hoping to Change to Linux Mint!

Post by ajgringo619 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Welcome to the forums, SkyBlue! The transition you're proposing is easier than you think; I'm sure someone will come along that can assist you locally.
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
kernel 5.0.0-25-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (430.40)

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello SkyBlue Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums.

I looked and found a recently set up Linux User Group in Fayetteville, which is NW Arkansas right? See here: https://www.meetup.com/fayettevillelug/. If that is near your location you could perhaps try messaging them. I doesn't look like they have a location yet for the meeting scheduled for July 6 but otherwise attending that may be a good way to find people that could help.

You can also try out Linux Mint on your own, which is safe to do before committing to installing it.

You can download Linux Mint yourself and burn the ISO file to a DVD or write it with a special program onto a USB thumb drive. You can then boot your computer from that and try our Linux Mint live. If you like what you see, and everything seems to work, you could then start the installer—which should give you the option to install alongside Windows 7 so you can use both operating systems till you're ready to go full Linux Mint. But let's step back a bit; try out Linux Mint first before you think about installing :) We have an installation guide that helps with all this, including downloading an ISO file and writing it to a USB thumb drive: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If that looks too complicated, you can also order Linux Mint on DVD or USB thumb drive from our partners here: https://linuxmint.com/store_cds.php. That way you get it sent to you and can then try it out on your computer.

Another alternative would be to buy a new desktop with Linux Mint already installed but that would be an expensive option in comparison.

There are three editions of Linux Mint. Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce. All will present an interface similar to Windows 7 (a taskbar at the bottom of the screen with a menu button at the left and a clock on the right). Not knowing anything about your computer I'd suggest you go for Linux Mint 19.1 MATE 64-bit to try. If you can share some hardware details of your computer—or if it is a brand name desktop what it's make and model number is—like how much RAM it has, what CPU is in it and what graphics card we can give a better suggestion as to what to try.

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Hello Skyblue and welcome to the forum. :)
Greencedar

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Also Hi @SkyBlue,
I'm in SE Missouri so we're almost neighbors.
OH GEE--I'm also 72 as of March.
My advice is to go ahead and make that move to Mint--get on board here and never look back.
Just know you will have support from Mint forum members worldwide to help you transition over.
I've been windowless for 6 magnificent years.
Hope you will join us

kamie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kamie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi Sky,
We are neighbors. SW Missouri here.
I made the jump to MInt about 2 months ago, and love it. Keep begging my 72 year old Mom to do the same. She is still with windows 7 as well.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320

speedingcheetah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by speedingcheetah » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 am

I have switched my home media center/DVR/file share sever over to Mint 19.1 from Win 10.
Also, the machine that runs my Ubiquiti UniFi Controller and UniFi Video camera system.

I am waiting until 19.2 comes out before I try moving over to Linux completely on my laptop...then eventually on my desktop.
See no point in doing so now, since it is very close to the time table for a new full release.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 am

The only issue about Windwoes no longer supporting W7 is that any (currently) undiscovered vulnerabilities may never get patched. The OS itself will not suddenly stop working just 'cause Billy said so. That said, Mint is a good choice to replace the M$ product. W 10 was good for a while but "patch Tuesday" struck me once too often.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:04 am

Welcome to the Forum and Linux Mint Image

If you can use Windoze 7...after a short while you'll find Mint easy to use too. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”