G'day Mint People from down yonder

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1seeker

G'day Mint People from down yonder

Post by 1seeker »

G'day folks,

new today after getting around to it for a while now.
I'm a bloke from Australia who enjoys Linux stuff and gets a thrill from nuking any PC with that microstuff on it and replacing with a fresh and free Linux OS.
I dare say i am not the only one like that?

Now, a disclaimer: I do not represent the masses from down here while at the same time i am one of them. Try and work that out!? Likewise, and perhaps more importantly, i know i don't represent the masses of happy Linux and especially Mint users around the planet but i am probably a little like some of you.
[this is an introduction page so bear with me while i enjoy saying g'day]

I am somewhere between a scrooge and a peasant [financially] and for that reason tend to use older PC's and the like and therefore have mainly used the 32bit systems. I see that my time may be limited as the majority of OS providers are leaving the 32 behind in the history of the internet somewhere, which i do understand, even if it cuts me out from a lot.
I am using an old laptop now that i picked up at a recycling depot. It has 4 big black blotches on the screen but that's OK. I enjoyed nuking the windows out of it and installing Mint. I have used Mint for a few years now and even was able to encourage another bloke to do the same. I have also used Ubuntu Mate and have tried a few different OS's out there. I do like Mint though.
But, i must confess that my favourite is Puppy but i don't use it much presently. It's such a small and full bodied neat and sparky little hound that i can't understand why more folk are not into it and it isn't much more popular. You get that.

Anyways, i do have a problem which i also ran into a couple of Mints ago and.... please, some kindly reader, point me in the right direction here for squizzing out the solution. It involves start up being slooow after a Kernel upgrade. I have read around the net a bit and hunted for some definite fix and even searched a bit through the forums here but so far am not able to sort it out. I realise that here is not the place for my question, etc and also that there is probably a lot more info needed, so please forgive me if i have been seen to be misusing the intro forum.... i am not wanting to do that. But at the same time if anyone here who reads this can point me in the right direction, me being a green bean from down under, i would appreciate it immensely!

Now, what else can i tell you in my intro?

I like trees. I like people. I like nearly everything that is put on a plate, although cucumbers are something i have happily refused to eat for several decades! Yes, i know they're green but given i will eat and drink nearly everything else and probably much more {better English... many more] things than most, i feel you can all let me off the hook! [pretty useless argument, i know]
So, being from down yonder, yes, kangaroos and wallabies and echidnas are fairly typical, as are emus. But you do have to go out bush a bit. The cities don't have them hopping, running or crawling around. It's a big country with plenty of nothing much and yet a huge variety of climate and weather patterns. I prefer the country to the big towns and cities.

So, that's a bit about me. G'day again and i look forward to the occasional interaction here.

Keep cool, be kind, know that you'll come across stuff that bugs you and yet do your best to be a friend, as the world needs them!

See ya later
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redx87

Re: G'day Mint People from down yonder

Post by redx87 »

1seeker wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:31 am I like trees. I like people.
You like to rave on too, it seems.

Can't help you with the boot time question. My Linux Mint 18 use to take nearly 2 minutes to boot up, but since upgrading to Linux Mint 19.01 my boot time is around 55 secs,even after a few kernel updates. I couldn't figure out why Mint 18 was so slow.

By the way, I'm also in rural Oz. Got out of the city 40 years ago and never looked back.

Cheers.
1seeker

Post by 1seeker »

redx87 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:21 am
1seeker wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:31 am I like trees. I like people.
You like to rave on too, it seems.
G'day,

ha ha.... good one! The missus has other ways of putting it

thanks for the greeting.

Yes, i had a Mate 17 [i think? from memory] and did a Kernel update and then a Libre Office update. All was well but the start time was useless so i got rid of the Update to the Kernel following instructions, i think? and the Office didn't work. Also had issues with browsers, probably cos i preferred Opera but they were dropping support etc so all in all it was a mission to enjoy my PC time. I had to do other things and when i got back some months later to getting tech minded and using a PC i also had a different box, so installed Ubuntu Mate which worked fine but pissed me off somewhat as they scrapped the software manager they had, for me and my system anyway. I am always aware though that i am running free OS's and they are good, being Linux, so my grumbling was pacified by that consolation. There is always a possibility that i have messed things up, too, as i do like to fiddle with things, because i can with Linux. Keeps an old bloke amused, you know.

Now i am back on Mint, happily. I saw the update [Kernel] and ignored it for a while and then one bright day decided, why not.... and alas, the first thing that pops up is the need to update Libre Office, and since i do use that and it is a good bunch of software, i haven't reverted back to the original Kernel. I'm on Sonya, which is an 18.2 Cinnamon 32bit. I thought i'd try the Cinnamon flavour this time. Now i have a pesty long time starting up and sometimes get a wonky number screen. I can live with it but if there is a solution, that would be handy.

Yeah, i know, I'm raving on again!

I did read somewhere that it was due to having an encrypted disk/storage so the new Kernel settings takes forever looking for something that can't be seen or accessed. BUT before i mess too much, i figured i'd try to ask first and then save my system from my fumbling fingers!!

Good to hear you saw the light about getting out of the city. Smart move. Now, you do realise that if i hadn't raved on so much, you wouldn't have thought to tell me about your move!

Love and peace and catch ya later
1seeker

Post by 1seeker »

me again,

I re-read your reply and perhaps i should save my stuff somewhere and scrap the 18.2 and go for a 19 like you have? I did also think that even if i do that, there are others who might benefit if a clear fix was available here, somewhere. Especially since it is the second time it has happened to me. Perhaps something the brains of the Mint might be able to sus out and sort for the future so Linux Mint keeps a good reputation ,etc etc etc.

I recall i was being slack and installed the older DVD live copy rather than downloading and burning a 19 version. I think it was because i was nuking the windows and so being zealous to do that, i did so before using windows to get the most recent Mint. Life goes on. [it was fun getting rid of windows though!! ]

All the best
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi 1seeker,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Hi, Welcome to Mint! BTW, "down yonder" is in Texas or Louisiana, Australia is "Down Under"!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello 1seeker and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

G'day 1seeker,
welcome to our forum
:)

you don't really have to 'upgrade' to that LM19 series, unless you wish to do so.
- some folks will, as they like to be 'up-to-date' on their PCs.

there an whole crowd of Aussies, that have found the World of LinuxMint, over the years.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
redx87

Post by redx87 »

Flemur wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 am Australia is "Down Under"!
Only from where you're standing.
redx87

Post by redx87 »

1seeker wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:13 am Yeah, i know, I'm raving on again!
Oh well, some people just have the Gift of the Gab. : )

As 1seeker says you don't have to go to Linux Mint 19, but I myself am glad I did. I installed 64bit Linux Mint 19.01 Cinnamon and most things just seemed to work "out of the box" so to speak, and by upgrading I was able to resolve some annoying hardware detection issues I was having with Mint 18, particularly with bluetooth hardware and also my scanner. I've done a lot of tweaks and changes to get the os running and looking the way I like, and I've kept a record of them for future use in case of a crash. I'm writing this now in my Opera browser, which is running perfectly and overall I think upgrading to Mint 19 was a good choice.

I still regard myself as a Linux novice so I really won't be much help with your problems. Just thought I'd give you my impression of Mint 19.

Cheers.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

G'day and welcome to the forums!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

redx87 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:32 pm
Flemur wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 am Australia is "Down Under"!
Only from where you're standing.
Australia?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum and Linux Mint. :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

There's a few Ozzies here, so you are not alone. What part of this wide brown land do you call home. I spent a good many years in Darwin, and, upon moving "south" could not cope with the big smoke, so moved "out bush". (Our town only has a few hundred people in it :D)

Anyway, Welcome! To improve boot times, I would heartily recommend you install a SSD. From the time I hit re-start to the time I am back up and running again is under 1 minute, and that includes entering a password.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
1seeker

Re: G'day Mint People, from down yonder

Post by 1seeker »

Well, g'day to all you folks who said g'day or likewise to me.
OK, down under if that makes it better, but i can't say i'm much of a fan of that song.To me, all you bodies outside of Australia are over yonder. Makes you wonder!!!

Glad to see a few Aussies here. That's refreshing. That is, because i have lamented a little about how most Aussies look at you like you've got something crawling on the side of your head or something when you use the word Linux and do so with conviction and excitement [as i do]. It's like they've never heard of it and it is some strange dish that only strange people would dine on. Little do they know that it's a banquet supreme! but i do try to tell them.

Hmmm, not too sure a SSD would fix my set up but then again i have no idea. I'll chew that over. The bit about having an encrypted disk/volume is what i am interested in. Makes sense but can one of you kind fellow Mints please point me in the right direction on the forums here to post my question and voice my 'bug'?

Back to the replies... presently down in SA but for the sake of a smile, i have been to Rave-nshoe in QLD and lived for a while outside of Rave-nsthorpe in WA. Spent about 15 years in south west WA. Nice place. Also several years in Tassie, but due to fossilizing parents moved to SA. The old boy carked it but the old dear is still going so i am still here. I'm about an hour out of Adelaide which is a bit too close but, you get that.

Yes, i am still new, as such, to Linux even after nearly 10 years! I'm not a dinkum terminal user but like having a go and would like to know more but the grey matter does cartwheels after a while of 'learning'. Too many happy times as a youngster perhaps?
One thing i have found is that there are two different 'languages' around Linux websites. One is full bottle jargon that goes way over my head [but, maybe that's because i am down under....ha ha , couldn't resist that] and the other is more in simple terms which i can understand. So while i can understand the easy stuff it doesn't get into it enough to sort things and at the same time there is a forum or two who get narky if you ask a stupid question or post in the wrong spot or ask something that has been asked before. I figure that here you blokes are much kinder, especially for blokes like me who are trying to work it all out.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's been great to be welcomed by such a mint bunch of blokes as you!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hey 1seeker I'm an hour NORTH! are you North, South, East or (West ;))
Fully mint Household
1seeker

Post by 1seeker »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 am Hey 1seeker I'm an hour NORTH! are you North, South, East or (West ;))
G'day lsemmens,
south. Down Victa way. Glad to see another crow eater! An hour any way is better than not.

thanks for getting back to me. Been a chilly winter, so far, hasn't it? (after a record hot summer!!) You'd be getting a frost or two, wouldn't you?

All the best
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yep, bl... cold! Son lives in Hayborough, so I spend a couple of days a week down there helping grandchildren with schoolwork. :D
Fully mint Household
1seeker

Post by 1seeker »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm Yep, bl... cold! Son lives in Hayborough, so I spend a couple of days a week down there helping grandchildren with schoolwork. :D
Homeschooling?
Tad breezy down this way, of late

all the best

Return to “Introduce Yourself”