G'day Mint People from down yonder

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Re: G'day Mint People from down yonder

Post by 1seeker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:53 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm
Yep, bl... cold! Son lives in Hayborough, so I spend a couple of days a week down there helping grandchildren with schoolwork. :D
Homeschooling?
Tad breezy down this way, of late

all the best
There is a time sometime amidst eternity

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

1seeker wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:53 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Yep, bl... cold! Son lives in Hayborough, so I spend a couple of days a week down there helping grandchildren with schoolwork. :D
Homeschooling?
Tad breezy down this way, of late

all the best
Yep!
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 pm

lsemmens wrote:

Yep!
Good to hear! What age group?
Do they use computer technology? That is, of course, Linux and Mint, combined?

On a different note, and back to my own problem... I have been thinking about 'moving up in the world' and updating to 19 to rid myself of the slow boot (which started after a Kernel update) but i am that sort of user who would like to at least first 'not be beaten' by something that might be able to be fixed.
I think for children, it is good to encourage them that they can tackle things which might be a bit tricky and get somewhere, which in turn instills a sort of attitude to life of confidence that whatever happens, you can face it instead of feel intimidated and scared to have a go.
They call that sort of thing, 'life skills' and them skills are needed despite any education one achieves.
A little confidence goes a long way.

Godspeed.... keep up the good work!

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 pm

They are doing schooling through "Open Access" which is a "live" classroom, sorta like the old school of the air, so, not, strictly, home schooling. They only have two or three formal lessons a day, but heaps of homework, which is where I come in. Grand daughter (16) is hoping to do veterinary nursing, or the like, when she finishes. She is largely independent with her schooling, so no real work for me there. Grandson is 10 and in grade 7. the school supplies the laptops and "maintains" them, so they are stuck with Windwoes. So, there is nothing for me to stress about there either. (so far).

As far as 19 is concerned, I have had no problems running it on all sorts of hardware from a old PII up to an I5. Obviously, with the older stuff, it's a bit clunkier, but then, I am using Cinnamon on all but one machine which is the lowest spec of the lot and that is using XFCE with no issues. I do not play games, nor am I performing much in the way of CPU intensive stuff, so none of my machines are overly taxed.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bill_steamshovel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Hello 1seeker,

Greetings and Salutations from another freezing cold Aussie - Victorian - far too cold to go and play in my shed so messing about inside the house helping a little tiny laptop realise its potential.

Regarding being parsimonious ......with the now humungous size of the windows upgrades there might be a whole generation of small laptops about to become redundant and available to people like us. This laptop I'm using is maximum 2 years old, 30GB, came with windows10 installed and already too small to cope with latest Windows 10 upgrade .......... after a few detours have now got Mint 19 up and running and space to spare..

I've had lotsa help on this forum, great place.

Bill

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 am

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 pm
They are doing schooling through "Open Access" which is a "live" classroom, sorta like the old school of the air, so, not, strictly, home schooling. They only have two or three formal lessons a day, but heaps of homework, which is where I come in. Grand daughter (16) is hoping to do veterinary nursing, or the like, when she finishes. She is largely independent with her schooling, so no real work for me there. Grandson is 10 and in grade 7. the school supplies the laptops and "maintains" them, so they are stuck with Windwoes. So, there is nothing for me to stress about there either. (so far).

As far as 19 is concerned, I have had no problems running it on all sorts of hardware from a old PII up to an I5. Obviously, with the older stuff, it's a bit clunkier, but then, I am using Cinnamon on all but one machine which is the lowest spec of the lot and that is using XFCE with no issues. I do not play games, nor am I performing much in the way of CPU intensive stuff, so none of my machines are overly taxed.
Apparently one can't do schoolwork these days without a computer of some sort or another. Given that most use the windoze/windwoes it must be a good racket!! Some use the old apple or two, as well. They of course NEED an iphone to go with it. It's a scandal. Don't know how we all got through scooling without them??!?

I'm not fussed about going for a 19 but only sticking my heals in because i'd like to fix it first! Also i am not all that savvy with back ups and the thought of copying everything i might want to keep and transferring it is not all that appealing. Mind you, there's not a lot. mainly bookmarks that i have half a zillion of. Life goes on.

Have you ever tried a Puppy Linux? You might like to play with one or two. Small files and when you've got them on disk they are super quick to get going and nifty little hounds to play with. I see why Barry K named them Puppy.
Thanks for the reply.

Very windy here today. blew my two wooden gates off their hinges

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:38 am

bill_steamshovel wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:55 pm
Hello 1seeker,

Greetings and Salutations from another freezing cold Aussie - Victorian - far too cold to go and play in my shed so messing about inside the house helping a little tiny laptop realise its potential.

Regarding being parsimonious ......with the now humungous size of the windows upgrades there might be a whole generation of small laptops about to become redundant and available to people like us. This laptop I'm using is maximum 2 years old, 30GB, came with windows10 installed and already too small to cope with latest Windows 10 upgrade .......... after a few detours have now got Mint 19 up and running and space to spare..

I've had lotsa help on this forum, great place.

Bill
G'day Bill,

good to hear from you. Fairly fresh winter, hey. We've had the hottest summer on record and now almost the coldest winter. I reckon Vivaldi would have to re-write his Four Seasons with a bit more tempo and gusto!

Good tip about the potential stockpile of redundant machines. I don't do a mega amount on mine so a small everything is fine. So long as the get up and go is there, the memory doesn't worry me. Not sure if i feel that way about myself though.??!
My biggest set back has been the 32bit. Not a super problem but we are more and more limited as time goes on. A bit like the old leaded petrol vehicles, as nice as they are/were, they are a by-gone era thing, so soon. Same as the Tape players of yester-year.
Mind you, i have always been a little behind times. I remember i went into a music shop one day a few years back and was looking around all puzzled and one of the staff approached me and asked if i need help as they could probably see my confused look or something. I asked where all the records were. I got a very strange look and was told, "we haven't had records for years". They probably wondered what part of the bush i had been lost in!

Yes, i should get off this thread soon and look around and post some other stuff in the forums here. I have no doubt that anyone who uses Mint has their head screwed on the right way and are no doubt a friendly mob.

All the best

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am

1seeker wrote: I remember i went into a music shop one day a few years back and was looking around all puzzled and one of the staff approached me and asked if i need help as they could probably see my confused look or something. I asked where all the records were. I got a very strange look and was told, "we haven't had records for years". They probably wondered what part of the bush i had been lost in!
Except, just across the ditch we started pressing records again a few weeks ago. Yes, real records except they are using red plastic.

And yes, cold around here too, about 10C for the last few weeks and yes, we had a day of 20C just before that !

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 am

actually the Record Factory, which, from memory, is in Melbourne:
http://www.zenithrecords.org/
- can't keep up with the demand, for those old-style vinyl pieces ..
as it's the only one, that is still operating in Australia.
NB: the machines, are well over Fifty Years Old.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 pm

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am

Except, just across the ditch we started pressing records again a few weeks ago. Yes, real records except they are using red plastic.

And yes, cold around here too, about 10C for the last few weeks and yes, we had a day of 20C just before that !
wonder if they sound and play the same? I haven't had a record player since how long ago.
It's amazing how acclimatized we get. I did a stint in the highlands of bonny Scotland (a few years) and i remember when i first got there i asked a young fella how hot it got in summer. He casually told me, "About 20C", to which i questioned him several times to check he wasn't kidding me. Sure enough, it went over 20 only a very few times each summer, there. I remember one day taking a photo of the temperature gauge inside the car when it got to 10C! A nice warm sort of day!!! [they have temp gauges mounted usually under the bumper or inside the front panel of the cars] If it got to 19 all the locals would be down to singlets and tank tops and shorts, outside in the sun getting a quick tan. The days are a lot longer there in summer, too. Mid summer and it never gets dark but stays a sort of twilight for a few hours and back into it again.
And yet now, back in the real world, it gets down to 10 and we feel it!!

All the best

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Pierre wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 am
actually the Record Factory, which, from memory, is in Melbourne:
http://www.zenithrecords.org/
- can't keep up with the demand, for those old-style vinyl pieces ..
as it's the only one, that is still operating in Australia.
NB: the machines, are well over Fifty Years Old.
8)
G'day Pierre, i see i should mark this thread as SOLVED now we have sorted out where to get records!!!

I'll have to have a look at the link and dream a bit.
Most of us who talk about records like this are well over 50 years old, too!

All the best

1seeker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1seeker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 pm

had a quick look. Wonder if they use recycled plastics? That'd be good for some of the old hippy tunes!
I see a few different colours available. Might have to get recording.... maybe some yodeling or something... could be a smash hit unless the records are unbreakable!!!

Anyway, enough of my nonsense.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and friendship.

Good stuff! [mint, in fact!!]

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 am

For the record -

"Holiday Records Is Bringing Vinyl Pressing Back To NZ After 30 Years"
https://www.viva.co.nz/article/culture- ... ckland-nz/

The WarmTone™ is the first fully automatic and modernised record press in over 30 years. Engineered by Viryl Technologies (Toronto, Canada)
https://www.holidayrecords.com/about

What they have, not so much for the titles but see the prices !!! -
https://store.holidayrecords.com/

Record revival: The first NZ vinyl press since September 1987, opens in Auckland
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... n-auckland
6 July 2019 - Their first batch of records rolled off the press last week, ahead of the official release on Friday night.

OK, back to Minting some records........ :)

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 am

RollyShed wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 am
For the record -

"Holiday Records Is Bringing Vinyl Pressing Back To NZ After 30 Years"
https://www.viva.co.nz/article/culture- ... ckland-nz/
yeah - - that's the same result, that I'd got - - so it must be that company.
& it's also interesting that the starting point, was that their band, had to get their vinyl cut in Canada.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Introduce yourself”