Returning to linux mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exiledrose

Returning to linux mint

Post by exiledrose »

Hello all I am actually a returning user but eh haven't used Linux Mint since 2015 truthfully, Anyway I never made a introduction post back in 2015 so figured since I am back using linux mint figured I might as well make a introduction, So here is my story lol.

Anyway let's see I first used linux mint when it was 17.1 (I was recommended linux by someone on a forum I used go on when I posted on the forum my windows 8 OS completely corrupted on me & at the time I had no clue on how to reinstall windows) but then 17.2 & up broke the wifi I looked up & down how to fix it (never posted here) & all the answers I found online pretty much said the wifi chip was dropped & no one could really get it working again. So I went back to windows until I managed to install chromium OS onto it. Then pretty much used that (If wondering it was cloudready created by Neverware, which over the years they have become a big company & are now even backed by google) So I used cloudready on my laptop, until I bought a brand new computer which was a tablet though eh the tablet wasn't able to run linux whatsoever without pretty much using custom made builds which even then didn't work right. So I stuck with windows.

Fast forward to present day my grandpa sent my mom his old laptop (it's a dell inspirion 15 3000) Reason why is because my grandpa said windows 10 kept breaking on him. So my mom gave me the laptop because she didn't want to deal with it breaking on her. I discover the reason why it's a complete mess it's running windows 10 64 bit with only 4GB of ram then not to mention the hard drive is extremely slow only writing reading & writing at a max of 2.50 Mbps according to the disc speed test I was using. Websites where crashing, programs going slow, & etc. So I tried windows 10 32 bit edition install that then windows 10 is a bit faster but lots & lots of delays still which made me think this computer really shouldn't be running windows 10 what so ever knew I couldn't downgrade it to windows 7 or 8 since I don't have any discs with product keys & if I did probably wouldn't work.

So I decided Linux & preferably Linux mint. I first tried the cinnamon edition but upon booting from the USB the cinnamon desktop kept crashing left & right. I looked up why & supposedly it's a common issue. So I said no big deal & tried linux mint mate. After making the usb rebooting to install the usb fails to boot up to the desktop. I am like oh come on mate can't be broken to. So then I decide to just restart, luckily the usb it booted up properly & I was able to install linux mint correctly.

Since installing linux mint mate the laptop has seen a huge increase in speed & performance (everything is more snappier & fast). Also the laptop remains extremely cool (while on windows it was getting extremely hot). So this laptop was pretty much brought back to life thanks to linux mint mate & I am happy by that fact alone. So now here I am & hopefully you will see me more on the forums lol.

P.S. if wondering what happened to that tablet well the wifi was cutting in & out of it & I was just in a bad mood (a really really bad mood) that day & smashed it to pieces with my bare hand surprised my hand didn't break so eh another reason why my mom gave me my grandpas old laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Returning to linux mint

Post by Moem »

Sounds like you made the right choice for that laptop. Welcome back!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello exiledrose,
And Welcome Back to Mint. Hope you enjoy the improvements since 2015.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello exiledrose Image

Welcome back to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
exiledrose

Post by exiledrose »

Moem wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:00 am Sounds like you made the right choice for that laptop. Welcome back!
Thanks then eh it seems like it but eh probably have to upgrade the hard drive it’s a bit to slow. I mean 2.5 mbps disc write is so slow it even froze a few times on Linux when doing multiple things. So eh the hard drive has to go lol.
athi

Post by athi »

Might want to run a test on the HDD, 2.5mbps is really slow even for 5400rpm drive. Drive might be damaged, these Dell retail laptops do tend to run hot.To test HDD, start Disks, select HDD on the left pane, click 3 horizontal bar icon at upper right corner, select SMART Data & Self-Test and do a long test on it. Post results of test here and we can take a look at it. Should be able to upgrade to SSD without much problem for a reasonable cost, SSD price have been dropping.

Welcome back.
exiledrose

Post by exiledrose »

athi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 pm Might want to run a test on the HDD, 2.5mbps is really slow even for 5400rpm drive. Drive might be damaged, these Dell retail laptops do tend to run hot.To test HDD, start Disks, select HDD on the left pane, click 3 horizontal bar icon at upper right corner, select SMART Data & Self-Test and do a long test on it. Post results of test here and we can take a look at it. Should be able to upgrade to SSD without much problem for a reasonable cost, SSD price have been dropping.

Welcome back.
Smart pretty much says everything is fine there is no reallocated sectors or anything. Only thing it pretty much said was everything was old age. Then I read reviews of the hard drive. People do not recommend the model to begin with do the slow speeds there is people who have written reviews saying they bought two of them one will write extremely fast the other will write slower then ever. So it sounds like when my grandpa bought the laptop one of these slow defunct models was put in. Eh I am just going to buy a new one when I get a extra money & if disks says it's not failing then it's a good sign but the slowness is not & from the reviews sounds like it's on the manufacturing side.
exiledrose

Post by exiledrose »

kc1di wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:26 am Hello exiledrose,
And Welcome Back to Mint. Hope you enjoy the improvements since 2015.
Also forgot to respond to this one I actually do like the improvements linux mint is a bit speedier then I remember even on this piece of junk (no offense but it truly is lol) my grandpa gave the family lol. So I am pretty shocked it somewhat life back to it pretty much raised it from the dead lol. Other then that it just feels like the linux mint I remember from 2015 just with better performance. Unless there is a bunch of major changes I didn't notice lol.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome back to the Forum. :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Michaelmint

Post by Michaelmint »

Ran across this thread searching for "CloudReady." After my initial very positive experience on this forum (see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=303420). I think I am now a Linux Mint (Cinnamon) convert.

I am wondering what your experiences are re Linux Mint vs. CloudReady.

CloudReady does have a forum (https://neverware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics) which is useful but, in the end, this Linux forum solved my problem, and I have the impression (as a complete newbie and non-techi) that although Chromium seems simpler to use (maybe just because I am used to it), Linux (especially Mint) is better because there seems to be a lot more people actively engaged, and the system itself (though not easy to learn) is more transparent than Chromium. Chromium is also supposed to be open source, but I have no idea how to fiddle with it or even get help for fiddling with it. This is a big advantage that Linux Mint has over CloudReady, I think.

Especially when I hear (above) that Google is supporting CloudReady, I am turned off, since I doubt that Google does anything, in the end, for free -- though I appreciate and use the free services. But who knows how long that will last. CloudReady already charges for business and educational use. I hope Linux Mint will stay free forever.

Windows and Chromebook are long dead and (almost) gone for me. (Although I keep one machine with Windows just for the one or two programs that only seem to run on that. Hardly use it, though.)

Love to hear other thoughts on this. Cheers and kudos to Linux Mint and the makers and keepers of this forum! :D
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Welcome back! :)
Greencedar

Return to “Introduce Yourself”