[Solved] mintbackup tool

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] mintbackup tool

Post by blueocean » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 pm

I used the mintbackup tool to create a list of software manager installs. I used it to restore that software to a clean install. But now when I run mintbackup on the newer system the list only contains a couple of new items I installed since and not a complete list. Is there a way to make it produce a complete list so I can have it for my next install?
Last edited by blueocean on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: mintbackup tool

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am

Three possibilities:
  • If you're using LM 19.x, add my PPA and mintbackup will show the full list (an a number of other mint tools as well as apt will have some additional bells and whistles as well ;))
  • Wait for LM 19.2 (should release this week), upgrade to it and mintbackup will also show the full list (for it includes some of the fixes from my PPA)
  • Run the script I posted here: viewtopic.php?p=1550994#p1550994, which was the predecessor to the two above. Should also work on LM 18.x.
Note that all three solutions will add everything you installed to mintbackup's list, not just things you installed via Software Manager. All three will also update Software Manager's list of installed applications itself.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks. I'll wait for the upgrade from this 19.1 to 19.2 and see how that turns out.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:21 am

It was fixed only when I did a clean install.

Return to “Introduce yourself”