Just Starting Research On Linux Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
secinv
Level 1
Level 1

Just Starting Research On Linux Mint

Post by secinv » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am

Hello Linux users,

I have been a Windows user since 1996 when purchased my first computer. I am seriously interested in switching from Windows 10 to Linux and feel Mint may be a good way to go. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and have been fairly happy with the system but having some minor issues with screen freezing up and needing to "re-set" the computer twice in the past few months. Thinking Linux may improve the running and operating my computer. I am very open to any and all suggestions or advice involving moving over to Linux Mint.

Thank you,

Stephen
Thank you,

Stephen

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Just Starting Research On Linux Mint

Post by WharfRat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:21 am

Hello Stephen Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Stephen,

I am in the latter stages of switching permanently from Windows 7 to Linux Mint. I'm switching because I didn't want to upgrade to Windows 10, and I wanted to break out of the reliance on MS.

Linux is a pretty steep learning curve for people like us with years of Windows brainwashing. I've tried other versions of Linux but found Linux Mint to be the easiest to help make the transition. I'm using Linux Mint 19.01 and I love it. :D It took me a while to get it looking and running the way I like, but I'm there now and it looks and runs perfectly for me.

I'm an old dog who has trouble learning new tricks, but even so, I was able to get my head around the installation process, the process of getting my hardware recognised, and installing programs, drivers and so on. I'm still learning of course but can always get good helpfull advice from this forum. I now use my Linux pc now about 90% of the time, and our Windows 7 pc only get's fired up occasionally because my wife still uses it.

Cheers

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Stephen.

As a first step I suggest you test Mint on your computer to see if all the hardware works. You can do this without installation by downloading the Linux Mint OS to your computer, then burning it to a 4GB USB memory stick with Etcher or Rufus. Restart your computer with the memory stick plugged in, and enter the BIOS settings to select "Run from USB" (or whatever the wording is.) Mint will run from the USB for testing. It will also give you the option to install if you want.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Stephen,
I've been using Mint 19.1 for about 4 months, only had a couple of minor hiccups so far. I too used Windows since the mid 90's, but couldn't take 10 home that came with my latest laptop. Wiped it completely off my computer, and haven't regretted the decision.
The support here is wonderful if you do have issues. Mint was really easy to learn, and I'm stupid frankly when it comes to this stuff. In other words if I can do it, any one can.
Good luck no matter what you decide to do.
Kamie
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:44 pm

I don't think it is very difficult to switch from Windows 7 to Mint as an Operating System.
Infact I think that is an easier switch than moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
There can be a few early issues with sorting out hardware compatibility & that is where cliffcoggin's advice to try out the 'live' version is valuable.

I think that the biggest problem for ex-Windows users lie around no longer being able to use Windows only software - Office & Adobe products especially.
So what you need to do before you take the leap is to think about what programs you regularly use while in Windows & seek out Linux alternatives if they are not readily available in Mint. While many popular Windows versions of software are not available for Windows, the same is not true the other way around. So you can download things like Libre Office & GIMP onto Windows & try them out there, rather than waiting until you switch to Mint & have to learn a new system & new software at the same time.. :D
You can (sometimes) use Windows software by using PlayonLinux & Wine but, personally, I see that as very last resort & would always encourage users to find a Linux alternative if at all possible..
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:43 pm

secinv wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am
Hello Linux users,

I have been a Windows user since 1996 when purchased my first computer. I am seriously interested in switching from Windows 10 to Linux and feel Mint may be a good way to go. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and have been fairly happy with the system but having some minor issues with screen freezing up and needing to "re-set" the computer twice in the past few months. Thinking Linux may improve the running and operating my computer. I am very open to any and all suggestions or advice involving moving over to Linux Mint.

Thank you,

Stephen
@secinv
Just download the Mint iso's from https://linuxmint.com/(nowhere else) and try them out in the live boot environment.
You will learn which desktop environment fits your needs. Once that is determined you have choices.
Most likely you will choose to dual boot alongside your Windows for awhile.
Be sure to come back to the these forums for advice on this matter

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:29 am

Welcome aboard, secinv!

Are you wanting to install Linux on your Surface? It's been a while (several years) since I researched it, but that used to be a major chore. (Non-standard hardware in the Surface.) But people were working on making it easier, and I assume by now it should be relatively easy. If you want to install on a standard desktop or laptop, it's a piece of cake.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 am

Welcome to the Forum and Linux Mint. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 am

RIH wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:44 pm
I think that the biggest problem for ex-Windows users lie around no longer being able to use Windows only software - Office & Adobe products especially.
I've got Word 2000 working fine in Mint via Wine. I don't know if I'm breaking any laws but it's a fully licensed cd and the product key was accepted ok. I know it's way out of date but I got used to using it for years in Windows and didn't want to waste money upgrading to modern versions. It works fine for me in Linux, but it's only temporary until I can get Libre Office to work a bit faster. It's a pain waiting for LO to open a document.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:00 am

redx87 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 am
only temporary until I can get Libre Office to work a bit faster. It's a pain waiting for LO to open a document.
This should help:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID3
(item 3)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:00 am
This should help:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID3
(item 3)
Hi Pjotr, It just shows how to disable Java, which I'd already done. Thanks for trying to help anyway, much appreciated.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 am

A fine lightweight alternative to Libre Office Writer and Microsoft Word, is Abiword:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install abiword
Works well on old hardware. You might give it a try....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi secinv,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for creating a bootable live USB stick or DVD of Linux Mint's installation system and trying that out. There are 3 versions of Linux Mint: Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce to find out which one you like the most and works best on your computer hardware.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 am

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 am
A fine lightweight alternative to Libre Office Writer and Microsoft Word, is Abiword:
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 am

Hi, sceinv, the advice given by many of our esteemed, members, here, is well worth heeding.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce yourself”