Just Joined...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
wwderw
Level 1
Level 1

Just Joined...

Post by wwderw »

While I've been bouncing around distros "part time" since 2010, but full time since 2015, just finally joined the forums here.

Like so many, started off as a long term Windows user (started during the DOS 3.2-3.3 days when I was a little kid) and didn't actually know about the existence of Linux until one of my tech friends was helping me out with a project and he had Ubuntu on a dual boot Win 7 laptop back in 2010.

I had a extra XP netbook that I started using to experiment with the different DEs out there. Did a lot of bouncing back and forth. As far as DEs go, always seemed to be between Cinnamon and KDE and I had to have something that made it easier to Nvidia drivers in since I was using a 3 monitor system with an nvidia card.

As far as uses go, I've been in the apparel decorating industry since the mid 90s, mainly dealing with Adobe (surprise, surprise) and embroidery digitizing software. When I first started the transition, I kept a VM around in order to boot into Windows if necessary for those programs, especially the embroidery programs as that's far more niche then even Adobe. Thankfully, for my use case, I was able to switch over full time to Linux. Started to get into some browser based app development and html5 games as well (although those are mainly just for hobby/personal use at this point).

Thanks to all that have contributed to making this fine distro and DE that help folks like me make the switch.
Lenovo P500
Xeon Processor
32GB ECC Ram
Running 3 monitors (2 27" Viewsonics and a 27" QHD Cintiq)

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Just Joined...

Post by WharfRat »

Hello wwderw Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Hello wwderw,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Welcome to the Forum! :D
wwderw wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 am
When I first started the transition, I kept a VM around in order to boot into Windows if necessary for those programs, especially the embroidery programs as that's far more niche then even Adobe. Thankfully, for my use case, I was able to switch over full time to Linux.
That's interesting, did you find Linux alternatives or just don't need them any more? :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

wwderw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wwderw »

BG405 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm

That's interesting, did you find Linux alternatives or just don't need them any more? :)
For the Adobe programs I found the usual suspects and considering my of my customers don't send me the proprietary file formats, I was able to use the usual suspects for those (although for a Premier alternative, I actually use Blender, which probably isn't one of the usual suspects).

For Ai, which is the most often one that I used, I went with Inkscape (usual suspect) and the nice bonus is that since I've gotten more into web app development, that opened up the door with using plain SVGs a little bit more.

As to the embroidery digitizing aspect, I found a nice extension project called Ink/Stitch (was able to contribute some to that project as well) and how I like to digitize and my needs, it really has come a long way to fulfilling that.
Lenovo P500
Xeon Processor
32GB ECC Ram
Running 3 monitors (2 27" Viewsonics and a 27" QHD Cintiq)

Return to “Introduce yourself”